Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Ikophot lightmeter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Ikophot lightmeter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Wermworm
Tinkerer
Username: Wermworm

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, August 07, 2013 - 12:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello good people.

I have an old IKOPHOT lightmeter that is "dead". Upon opening it and messing around with it I was able to see that it does work sometimes, mainly when it wants to or when i'm pressing a particular piece of the insides (not the same piece everytime), so i'm kind of lost as what to do in order to fix it (if possible at all).

Can anyone help me?

thank you

Mr_flibble
Tinkerer
Username: Mr_flibble

Post Number: 117

Posted on Wednesday, August 07, 2013 - 01:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The early light meter electronics consist of a single circuit, constisting of a selenium cell, a resistor and the gauge, not much else.
If it works sometimes as you say, it sounds like a loose wire somewhere.

Denny
Tinkerer
Username: Denny

Post Number: 147

Posted on Wednesday, August 07, 2013 - 08:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On some old selenium cell meters, the selenium cell has tabs that basically make contact by a spring action. The surfaces of the "spring contact area" oxidize and cleaning them will restore a stable contact. This is sort of why the "thump" method sometimes works, but I ain't goin' there :-)

Michael_linn
Tinkerer
Username: Michael_linn

Post Number: 96

Posted on Wednesday, August 07, 2013 - 11:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree with Denny.

Just get inside and clean it up. There is a good chance it will work like new.

Mine does, and it's cute, too.

Wermworm
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, August 08, 2013 - 02:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey! thank you so much for the replys. What can I clean it with? I mean, with what material/liquid?

I know the cell has 2 lines (painted one at each side) of a silver color substance that makes contact with small metal pieces in front, these pieces then follow to a wire.

My first guess would be cleaning it up, but I am afraid I could make it worse by using the wrong materials..

Mr_flibble
Tinkerer
Username: Mr_flibble

Post Number: 120

Posted on Thursday, August 08, 2013 - 06:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can start by gently rubbing those two small metal contacts with the wires attached to them to clean off any visible oxidation. Carefully rub with a fine emery cloth if the oxidation is more extensive.

You can safely clean with q-tips and cleaning alcohol as the alcohol dries without leaving a mark.

Clean the two silvery contacts on the cell only if they are oxidized. If you damage the cell's external coating it will degrade rapidly.

Denny
Tinkerer
Username: Denny

Post Number: 148

Posted on Thursday, August 08, 2013 - 11:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have used a pencil eraser and if that doesn't quite do it, then a q-tip soaked with CRC electronics cleaner. That stuff evaporates quicky and don't use CRC elecTRIC cleaner. It will dissolve plastic whereas, the elecTRONICS cleaner is safe for about everything. Good Luck.

Wermworm
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Saturday, August 17, 2013 - 02:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hello again! I finally got around to give another try at the lighmeter. I opened it and tried to clean it the best I could. The meter seems exactly the same as before. It reacts randomly. Sometimes when I apply pressure to a specific area, other times when I apply pressure to another area. But when I get it to "stay" and work well, when I put the cover on it stops working.
HEre are 2 pictures I took of its inside.
http://flic.kr/p/fw8NWz
http://flic.kr/p/fwo59s

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 633

Posted on Saturday, August 17, 2013 - 07:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'd like to help, but mine is a slightly different model (maybe just a few years older), and it seems to be glued into the leather case. Oh, and previous owner took the screws out of the diffuser panel, so I can't use that, either.

But from what I can see in your photos, your contacts on the cell are severely corroded. You might try getting some PC Board Trace to apply to the contacts, and hopefully increase their conductivity

PF

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 1089

Posted on Tuesday, August 20, 2013 - 03:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Storing these meters in their original leather case is a death knell. The cases just act like a sponge unless the item is stored in a very dry atmosphere. Unless somebody has been bloody stupid, I doubt that Phil's case is 'glued on', damp, body oils and good old degradation have probably bonded the case to the plastic body.

This was the first meter I can remember my father using. It took me many tries, a few years back, to find a nice one to add to my collection as most were in the condition we see here - some even had tacky/sticky plastic bodies.

Wermworm
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 09:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My case is borken in 2, you can see here - http://flic.kr/p/fwo64d

I havent hit the case yeat, my approach would probably be glue.. ?

Regarding the "PC Board Trace", english isnt my first language so I'm a bit lost on this, but Im guessing this is some kin d of "paste" like a toothpaste substance I aplly on the cantacts, is that it?

thank you

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 636

Posted on Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 08:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's a paint-on copper coating that is used to repair broken circuit traces on Printed Circuit (PC) boards, Werm. You can get it from electronics hobby shops, or online. I haven't bought any in a long while, so I'm not exactly sure what it's called.

PF

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration