Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Voigtlander rollfilm t/b setting jammed Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Voigtlander rollfilm t/b setting jammed « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Manmcg2012
Tinkerer
Username: Manmcg2012

Post Number: 46

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, August 11, 2013 - 05:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,can anyone tell me why the camera is firing at all speeds but when you set to t/b the shutter arming lever is stuck.it won't arm. Is there a spring separate from the other settings that's came loose?also do you really need these bulb settings do many people use them

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer
Username: Hanskerensky

Post Number: 269

Posted on Sunday, August 11, 2013 - 06:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some vintage shutters use the B and T function without arming. Just set on B or T and press the button/lever with NO arming.
Could you give us the name of the shutter ?

Many vintage cameras were produced in a period when film sensivity was really low. So long times and B or T were then used much more then nowadays with or high ISO films.
Most of the time people nowadays only use them in very low light situations (e.g. night scenes).

Manmcg2012
Tinkerer

Post Number: 47

Posted on Sunday, August 11, 2013 - 07:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The name on the lens is heliar and on outer its compur

Manmcg2012
Tinkerer

Post Number: 48

Posted on Sunday, August 11, 2013 - 07:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The b setting only open the shutter ,,when i release the arm the shutter seems to stick before going back to the closed position,,i then havet to go on to a shutter speed arm then fire to close the shutter,,also can you tell me what i can use as a mirror,,in the eyeview window half of the mirror is missing (comes in 2parts).only getting half of the subject in view....

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer

Post Number: 270

Posted on Monday, August 12, 2013 - 04:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Guess your camera is then a Prominent 6x9 or Bessa I.

The shutter needs service.

The mirror i don't know as i have no experience with either camera.
Maybe only problem is that mirror (when used in camera) fell off and needs to be re-glued into position.

Manmcg2012
Tinkerer

Post Number: 50

Posted on Monday, August 12, 2013 - 04:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

do you use the t/b function

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer

Post Number: 271

Posted on Monday, August 12, 2013 - 11:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually yes, my hobby is camera repair so i use these functions all the time when collimating lenses. Last time i used B for taking photos was 25 years ago when photographing a fireworks display.

Manmcg2012
Tinkerer

Post Number: 53

Posted on Tuesday, August 13, 2013 - 05:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have you ever made spacers for a 116 roll camera to take 120 roll

Bronze_knight
Tinkerer
Username: Bronze_knight

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, August 13, 2013 - 08:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On the mirror you can make a new one but its a bit challenging.

Mirrors in cameras are what are called first surface mirrors. Basically most mirrors I.E. the ones in your car or bathroom have the silver of the mirror sandwiched between the glass and some backing paint. A first surface mirror has the silver on the top and then the glass under it. This is done to prevent distortion of your image as the light passes through the glass, instead it just hits the silver and goes right to the ground glass.

Now there are a few places online that make true first surface glass and plastic mirrors. But I, being a broke collage student, found another way.

Jo Ann sells this plastic mirror sheet, (http://www.joann.com/darice-6-x9-plastic-mirror/xprd77619/) its real thin so you can make it the same thickness as the mirror that's in the camera. (The thickness of the mirror is also important, try to get it as close as possible.)

Then what I did is just cut out my mirror and then dunked it in a cup of Simple Green, an outdoor cleaner, for about 10 min. (in hindsight you could do this just as well with water) Then I pulled it out and scraped away the paper backing with my fingernail. Then I used a paintbrush with a bit of turpentine on it and as gently as possible removed the adhesive that was holding the paper on.

Try not to touch the silver surface with your finger its a very thin layer of silver and will come off at the slightest touch. Mine came out with a lot of little scratches from the paint brush bristles but once the mirror was in the camera you couldn't tell. And if you mess it up the first time you got the rest of that $4 sheet to make a few more.

Of course if your mirror is a "normal" thickness (unlike the one in my Voiglander Brilliant) you can just take any old glass mirror that you've cut to the right shape and soak it in some acetone to remove the paint backing, and use it. There are also ways to chemically re-silver a mirror I've seen kits that cost around $50 that you can do on your own at home. Also most any collage chemistry department has the necessary chemicals to do re-silvering. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUX_cpFWNso) Assuming you can talk them into letting you use them.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration