Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Retina IIIc front lens element Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Retina IIIc front lens element « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dan
Tinkerer
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, August 15, 2013 - 11:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Retina IIIc with a cracked lens. I have read numerous times that the front element and mount should have the same serial numbers but no clear explanation of why or what happens if a non matching serial number is mounted. I have the proper lens element, but with a different serial no. that I would like to use. Can anyone explain what will happen?

Chris_sherlock
Tinkerer
Username: Chris_sherlock

Post Number: 84

Posted on Thursday, August 15, 2013 - 03:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Dan,

The lens components were matched in the factory.

You can swap the front group, but there might be a slight focus shift, which you'd need to correct afterwards.

As a bonus, you can swap the name rings over too, and no one will know what you've done....

Regards, Chris

Dan
Tinkerer
Username: Dan

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 12:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Chris. I will shoot a roll with the replacement front element and see want I get.

Nparsons13
Tinkerer
Username: Nparsons13

Post Number: 38

Posted on Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 01:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've read in a several places that the front and rear lens elements may need to be adjusted if the front element is replaced, and I've always wondered: When the Curtar and Longar front elements are used, why don't they need the same adjustment? Or do they?

Chris_sherlock
Tinkerer
Username: Chris_sherlock

Post Number: 85

Posted on Friday, August 23, 2013 - 03:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is no provision to 'adjust' the front or rear groups in these lenses, there is only the provision to adjust the position of the whole lens/shutter assembly relative to the film plane. This can be done by adjusting the position of the focus scale ring on the helical, or by the addition or subtraction of shims.

The complete lenses must always have been fairly close to each other in terms of focal length or the accessory lenses wouldn't have been a great match.

There is unlikely to ever be any problem with the wide-angle since it had an effective maximum aperture or f/4 or f/5.6 depending on the model, and so the much wider depth-of-field compared to the standard lens would mask any focus problems.

The 80mm lens would have slightly narrower depth-of-field than the standard lens, so if there was going to be a problem with focus because the standard front/rear set were ill-matched in some fashion, then it would be with this lens.

Regards, Chris

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration