Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Exakta Varex IIa Replacement Curtain ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Exakta Varex IIa Replacement Curtain Cloth « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brett
Tinkerer
Username: Brett

Post Number: 11

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, August 18, 2013 - 05:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was lucky enough to win an Exakta Varex IIa a couple of weeks ago as the only bidder. It's the version with Exakta embossed in chrome and came fitted with a 58mm Biotar in nice condition, a Meyer Primagon 35mm f/4, a Duo Tamron 135/225 and sundry accessories including the original owners manual.

I've since spent much time sorting out a number of issues including the self-timer and slow speeds (which were timed incorrectly), the wind lever return spring, and I've done a reasonable job of knocking out a dent in the top of its pentaprism.

As usual for this model, the shutter curtains have seen much better days and I'm going to have to replace them. I've found some good resources on the web detailing this process, and Exakta helped the repairer a lot by designing the cameras so that the mechanism can be extracted from the body as a unit. However, I need to work out which curtain material is the best choice to use as I have read they can be particular about needing the right thickness etc.

I've found three good looking options so far (I've read some not-so-good reports about Micro Tools cloth). Nobby Sparrow has two sorts of cloth listed on ebay:

a silk & rubber cloth 0.17mm thick; and
a silk/rubber/silk cloth 0.2mm thick.

Aki-Asahi also sells a silk & rubber cloth 0.2mm thick (which may well be the same type Nobby sells, all of them are, apparently, made in Japan.

I wrote to Nobby regarding the choices. Helpfully, he replied promptly suggesting the 0.17mm type would be the better choice for Exakta, but his English is, well, interesting (although no doubt much better than my very rusty Japanese).

I suppose it's possible any of the above would work quite OK. But I thought I would seek the input of any members who have done an Exakta curtain replacement. What cloth did you use, where did you acquire it, and what were your experiences?

Many thanks in advance
Brett

Davejb
Tinkerer
Username: Davejb

Post Number: 8

Posted on Sunday, August 18, 2013 - 12:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I used the Aki Asahi rubber/silk material without too much problem, though I find the edges tend to fray slightly. Thickness of the 1st curtain ribbons is important - use the originals if you can.

With care, and some luck, it is possible to re-use the original metal laths. Open the two folds JUST enough to slide out the old curtain (you may have to use acetone if the rubber has gone sticky). Cut the new curtain over-long, form a fold perfectly square (press it cold in a vice, then apply a smoothing iron at a low temperature) and slide it into the lath. Cut off the surplus and close the folds on the lath. You'll understand what I mean when you have the curtains out!

Prasanna
Tinkerer
Username: Prasanna

Post Number: 100

Posted on Sunday, August 18, 2013 - 08:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I used Aki Asahi's cloth for the curtains. I do not use his ribbons, as they are not braided; they are woven with one continuous long thread criss- crossing the others. A slight pull on the long thread makes the entire ribbon collapse. I bought braided ribbons of the same size from a schools- supply shop in the neighborhood. They work well. Good luck.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1351

Posted on Sunday, August 18, 2013 - 09:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have used darkroom curtain fabric, which has a coarser weave than most shutter curtains but works well in many cameras (it's too thick for Leicas, but Exaktas don't seem to be excessively tight for space); and fabric cut from old film changing bags, which is much thinner but a bit harder to handle because it loves to curl up - especially after you apply contact cement to it. Both should work well in the Exakta. I haven't used Aki Asahi's material. I have had to replace some Micro-Tools curtains that were not light tight, and I've got some of their material that is too thick for most cameras. Between the darkroom cloth and the film bag cloth, I probably have a lifetime supply so I haven't experimented with a lot of other options.

Brett
Tinkerer
Username: Brett

Post Number: 12

Posted on Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 07:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you all for your helpful insights. Much appreciated, indeed. I'll order some cloth and do my best. ;)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration