Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Synchro-rapid 800 shutter question Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Synchro-rapid 800 shutter question « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Denverdad
Tinkerer
Username: Denverdad

Post Number: 31

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, August 18, 2013 - 08:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Recently I decided to take a chance on a Kodak Tourist I camera with Anastar lens in a synchro-rapid 800 shutter. I did this knowing full well the reputation these shutters have, but was willing to risk it since I was able to get the camera for a good price, and also because... well, I have just always really wanted one! :-)

The main defect I have observed with the shutter is that it has a tendency to stick and not actually trip when actuated. But I find that I can subsequently get it to release by giving the cocking lever a further little nudge (in the cocking direction). It doesn't do this initially, however. Typically, after sitting inactive for a while, it fires normally (and the speeds even seem about right, too). But I usually only get a half dozen or so normal shutter openings before it starts acting up again. In addition, it behaves this way regardless of speed setting (including bulb), and it doesn't matter whether I trip the shutter from the release button on the camera, manually on the shutter itself, or via a release cable (i.e., it is more than just a linkage issue).

My question is, does this particular situation ring a bell to anyone? I will eventually be opening it up and doing whatever it takes to get it operational again, possibly attempting a full-up tear-down and CLA if necessary :-(. But I am wondering if the symptoms stated suggest any known issues with the 800, or if someone can at least point me to where I should initially look when I open it up.

Jeff

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 634

Posted on Monday, August 19, 2013 - 11:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had a problem on a Compur-Rapid once where the B lever had spread a bit, and so would not block the actions to hold the shutter after cocking.

I just missed out getting one of these 800's because I lost track of time the other day. And I think the 400 has a worse reputation than the 800, from what I've read.

About all you can do is open it up, observe the actions, and try to determine what lever is not making proper contact with a blocking dog. Cleaning the escapements will also improve things. Or you could have a weak spring somewhere that needs to be re-tensed.

Your other problem will be making sure the bellows is light-tight.

PF

Denverdad
Tinkerer
Username: Denverdad

Post Number: 32

Posted on Tuesday, August 20, 2013 - 10:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks PF. I'm sure it is something like that - a bent lever or one not making contact where it should, or a spring which has lost tension... Something like that.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration