Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta XD 5 film advance lever jammed? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Minolta XD 5 film advance lever jammed? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stefanie285
Tinkerer
Username: Stefanie285

Post Number: 2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, August 20, 2013 - 09:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently found a Minolta XD5 in my mother-in-laws house, it has not been used for years. I tried it a few times and the shutter and film advance lever worked perfectly. I have now changed the batteries and I wanted to install some film. Problem is that the film advance lever does not function. I can push it but there is no click or anything and the film does not advance. Also the shutter does not work. I can push the button but there is no resistance at all. I would like to use this camera but don't know how to fix this problem. Can anyone help?

Fidji
Tinkerer
Username: Fidji

Post Number: 58

Posted on Tuesday, August 20, 2013 - 11:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When you press the shutter button and look through the viewfinder, do the LED lights, light up? If not, then either the batteries have been installed upside down, or the terminal inside the camera is dirty or corroded. Even a fingerprint on one of the battery surfaces can effect them, so wipe them also. [the 2 batteries both go in + side first]
If the LED lights work, the shutter may have jammed, which is usually dirty magnets beneath the bottom plate of the camera.

Stefanie285
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 07:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the batteries are installed correctly and the leds work.
how can I access the magnets beneath the bottom plate?

Fidji
Tinkerer
Username: Fidji

Post Number: 59

Posted on Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 02:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have you tried the shutter in 'o' or 'B' settings which are not electronically controlled? If it does not wind on or releases the shutter in those positions, something has jammed , and it's not likely to be the closing curtain electromagnets.
It's a sorry fact that many of these extremely complex electronically operated cameras from the 70's and 80's are not repairable by anyone other than professional repairers, and like many other electrical devices, are not economically worth it.

Stefanie285
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Friday, August 23, 2013 - 01:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thx for your help, anyhow. I also went to a photographer and he told me the same, that it is probably beyond repair. Maybe I'll try to open it and see what's jammed but probably not.

Arfd
Tinkerer
Username: Arfd

Post Number: 30

Posted on Friday, August 23, 2013 - 12:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The fact that the camera was recently working leads me to suspect it is not a major electronic fault. The release magnet could be sticking, and that involves major work to access, but it is just possible power isn't getting to the release magnet because grounding of the bottom circuit board has been lost. Take the base off, 2 screws, and you will see the release CB at the rewind end of the camera. The screw near the front edge provides grounding. Unscrew it, if it is lose or if a white deposit is present on the the threads then that is likely to be the source of the problem.

Wayner
Tinkerer
Username: Wayner

Post Number: 3

Posted on Friday, August 30, 2013 - 10:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If I understand your problem, the film advance lever moves fully, but doesn't advance the film? If that's the case, try holding down the shutter release and pushing the film advance to the front at the same time. You should hear a click, and the film advance shouls work normally. I've had this happen to an XD5, XE5 and XGM.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration