Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon 300mm F4 FD Lens dsiassembly an... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Canon 300mm F4 FD Lens dsiassembly and focus adjustment « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Garyramey
Tinkerer
Username: Garyramey

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, August 20, 2013 - 05:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have this spectacular lens that after being transported in a suitcase will no longer focus at long range. I bought this lens used and have been enjoying it immensely. So much so that I was going to sell my zoom. I've inquired into shops and they'll "attempt" a repair for $250. I can almost get another used one for that amount. In any case, I'm going to attempt to do this myself but have read that it can be tricky. Any thoughts you have on the matter before I ruin it for good would be great!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 635

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, August 20, 2013 - 07:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, now that you've asked, if you haven't worked on camera lenses before there is a pretty good chance you could wreck this one. The ones I've fixed have been more in the 50mm range, and simpler construction.

That said, one thing to look out for is to not get the focusing helical out of alignment. You need to mark where the parts separate from each other, so that you don't spend a lot of extra time colimating the lens.

You also may want to do some housekeeping while inside it, just to get any haze, or large dust particles off the elements. You won't be able to keep them all out, unless you have access to a clean room.

Use good tools, and don't force anything. It may just be a matter of some set screws having come loose from the vibrations of being transported in the suitcase. They are usually hidden under the rubber grip rings, and you might not have to open the lens up at all, except to take the name ring off if it has one.

I hope someone chimes in with more specific instructions for you. Good luck.

PF

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration