Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica Fx-D Quartz shutter not firing Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Yashica Fx-D Quartz shutter not firing « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Greerlowenstein
Tinkerer
Username: Greerlowenstein

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 01:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Yashica Fx-D Quartz and I love it. However, after only shooting 2 rolls of film, it randomly stopped firing on the 3rd roll. It's not a battery problem, I just replaced them. The shutter just won't fire, but the film advance lever keeps advancing like the shutter has fired. I have no idea what happened, any ideas?

Jagstang
Tinkerer
Username: Jagstang

Post Number: 28

Posted on Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 06:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know the Contax 159 was prone to an issue where the electromagnet that controls the shutter release has contacts that get dirty, causing it to stick and not release the shutter. However, in that case, the advance stays fixed. I don't know how much it has in common with the earlier 139 (the Contax version of your Yashica) though, due to the 139 being pre-Kyocera and the 159 having program AE and a faster shutter IIRC.

Were you using a winder when this happened? Does it work if you give it a good shake or smack? The fact it keeps winding suggests something is mechanically wrong though to me.

Michael_linn
Tinkerer
Username: Michael_linn

Post Number: 99

Posted on Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 09:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The obstruction lever at the bottom is not engaging.

Remove the bottom plate. The Rewind button, the power winder washer, and the plastic plate around the tripod socket will be loose.

See if you can spot the problem. The lever blocks the wind sequence when working properly and prevents the shutter from firing via a switch when it is not in the blocking position.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration