Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon FD 50mm f1.8 - Splits in two wh... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Canon FD 50mm f1.8 - Splits in two when I focus close up « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mangler
Tinkerer
Username: Mangler

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 03:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I picked up one of these lenses pretty cheap along with an AE-1.The aperture blades were oily and sticking so i followed Rick's sketches to get to the aperture diaphragm and clean them off.

I goofed by taking the focus ring off, which led to the piece that holds the lens elements coming apart from the mount. Long story short, I got everything back together and the aperture blades now work perfectly when connected to the AE-1.

But...

When I turn the focus ring all the way out (to the closest distance), the piece with the lens elements is free to separate from the mount. So everything is fine as long as i don't try to focus too close, in which case the lens falls apart :-)

I imagine there is some mechanism to prevent this from happening. Any tips or advice?

Thanks,
m

Nguyenbanghien
Tinkerer
Username: Nguyenbanghien

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 07:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When reassembly the 2 parts of focusing at infinitive position, and the gap must be adjust to mimimum (I see under 1mm)

Mangler
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, August 23, 2013 - 09:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the advice.
I think i understand what you're saying. In my image below, are you saying that there is too much of a gap where the red arrow is pointing? I'm not sure how to make it any less.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2fh2qomhrxxkw49/canonFD18.jpg

I tried attaching the image, but kept getting an error message.

Nguyenbanghien
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Friday, August 23, 2013 - 12:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Mangler,
I do not know exactly the technical terms, so I will call them as I name in fig 1 and 2.
-If you accidently take off completly the front from the rear, you must open the rear of the lens to reassembly them.
-because in fig 2: there is a bronze guide(1) in the rear, it will fit to the groove(2) on the lens block. There are 2 grooves on the lens block (2,3), and you must find out the right one.
when you turn the front over the rear, the lens block will slide on the guide 1 in front-back direction.
-you must reassembly at the infinitive focus position, that is the rear, front and lens block are nearest together. then just fix the guide
-this is also the headache issue I met when the first time I dissassembly the lens without made marks on items.

Mangler
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Friday, August 23, 2013 - 01:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, i actually discovered this out (after many hours of trial and error) and i believe i did this properly.. the bronze guide goes into the slot as noted.

Maybe i'm using the wrong slot?

The one slot seems to have a lump inside of it, whereas the other slot is empty. I am putting the bronze guide into the empty slot... not the one with the lump.

The "lump" i am referring to is actually pictured in the lens block on your figure 1. Is there another slot i'm not seeing?

perhaps i'll make a video and post that.

Thanks again for your continued assistance.

Nguyenbanghien
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Friday, August 23, 2013 - 06:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Mangler,
you had chose the right slot, the other (the "lump" is not used)
Nguyen Ba Nghien

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 1090

Posted on Saturday, August 24, 2013 - 10:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The are plenty of proper instructions on the web or check Rick's valuable notes. If you did not mark and then count the rotations when splitting the helical, then lens has to be focused before fitting the focus ring. The bronze 'guide has nothing to do with stopping the inner part of the helical screwing out of the lens barrel. If inner part lifts out when lens is set to min focus then actual focus is way, way out. You will just have to keep trying all the different thread start positions, check min focus on a ground glass, not with focus scale and ensure inner barrel is secure in threads before fitting focus ring and checking max focus and min and max rotation stops when all is assembled properly. I am sure Ricks notes have all this down in simple terms and certainly the Canon notes on this lens are simple enough.

Mangler
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Saturday, August 24, 2013 - 10:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn, thanks for the advice. I've searched around and haven't been able to find any notes besides this one here, which helped me on the initial project of cleaning the blades.
http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-161.html

Beyond that i'll follow your tips for getting the focus set properly.

Arfd
Tinkerer
Username: Arfd

Post Number: 31

Posted on Tuesday, August 27, 2013 - 04:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lensinc.net sell a reasonably priced cd with some good information on servicing the older breech lock FD lens range. The tabulated data on aperture diameter at each f-stop for FD lenses 17mm to 135mm is a valuable resource.
Oldtimercameras.com used to sell reprints of service guides for all the FD lenses, but recently the link to Canon service manuals has been removed from their website!
If a forum member knows of another source for FD lens repair information please let us dedicated FD users know.

Gardener
Tinkerer
Username: Gardener

Post Number: 28

Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2013 - 10:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

FWIW, I once had the same problem and was able to reassemble the lens without taking apart the base. I'm not 100% certain how I did it (the real take home message was "don't do it this way again") but I think it involved mounting the lens.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration