Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Rolleiflex 2.8 C viewing lens free? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Rolleiflex 2.8 C viewing lens free? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Novembersierra
Tinkerer
Username: Novembersierra

Post Number: 11

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, August 26, 2013 - 05:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,

I'm trying to get access to the inner element of my heidosmat viewing lens:
after removing the front mask with the bayonets and rings I unscrewed the front viewing lens retaining ring and the front element came off.
All good? no!

I found that, in order to remove the two last elements, you must unscrew the rear (mirror area) retaining ring which I can't unscrew because it's difficult to reach. A solution would be to remove the viewing lens, but I can't find the screw that in my previous rolleicord locked the viewing lens in place!

It appears that the viewing lens is free to screw in and out to adjust the focus, but it requires some force, so I'm afraid to move it because I could be forcing a screw and ruining the thread of the viewing lens cell.
Do you know if this screw exists in this particular model? Thanks a lot.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1354

Posted on Monday, August 26, 2013 - 06:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was sure I'd have a good answer in my notes, but I'm afraid I don't have this detail on the 2.8C so I'll have to guess based on other models.

All Rolleis have a locking device on the focus threads of the viewing lens - the nature of the device varies from one model to another. On the 2.8A, there are 3 screws arrayed around the viewing lens (these are on the flat panel next to the lens, not in the sides of the lens barrel itself), which when tightened bind the focus adjustment threads so that the lens can't turn. In my photos of a 2.8C, I see what looks like one of these screws at the 9:00 position as you look from the front... maybe the other 2 are there as well. If you see something like this, loosen (DO NOT REMOVE) these screws and see if the lens barrel now turns freely.

Novembersierra
Tinkerer
Username: Novembersierra

Post Number: 12

Posted on Tuesday, August 27, 2013 - 05:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks! It worked! There are three black screws around the viewing lens, one above on the right, hidden behind the flash sync cable, one exactly left of the lens, and the last one between the lens and the shutter, slightly right. So facing the lens the screws are at 1 o'clock, 5 and 9.
I managed to remove the whole lens assembly by engaging the self timer, which lever in off position would otherwise block and ruin the thread of the viewing lens.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration