Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Contaflex Super B: Focus Problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Contaflex Super B: Focus Problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chaffinch
Tinkerer
Username: Chaffinch

Post Number: 27

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, August 29, 2013 - 02:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Having acquired a very tidy example of this camera in working condition, to my consternation I've discovered that the focus quality I see in the microprism and split-image in the viewfinder doesn't match the focus at the film plane. Using a screen at the film plane I have established that focus at this point matches the markings on the distance scale on the lens, but that focus as observed through the viewfinder is wildly out, infinity focus in the split-image being indicated at the 4-metre mark on the focus ring.

I assume the focusing screen in the viewfinder has somehow got out of position? Has anyone encountered this problem and knows of a fix? Any help appreciated!

Donnie_strickland
Tinkerer
Username: Donnie_strickland

Post Number: 180

Posted on Thursday, August 29, 2013 - 05:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

More likely it's the mirror which is out of position. Sorry, I don't have any experience with the Super B.

Fidji
Tinkerer
Username: Fidji

Post Number: 60

Posted on Thursday, August 29, 2013 - 05:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not too sure if the super B has the same setup as the earlier contaflexes, but they have the focusing screen attached to the base of the prism. The prism is held in place by metal straps which in turn are held down by screws. If these screws come loose, the prism and focusing screen can become unseated and just a little shift can badly affect the focusing. Removing the top of the camera is the only way to check if the prism/focus screen has become unseated on these leaf shutter SLR's. It's a chance to clean the mirror if you lift the prism out. Possibly it's last clean was 45 years ago!

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 639

Posted on Thursday, August 29, 2013 - 08:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could just need the mirror adjusted. Should be a port on the bottom of the camera, with an adjustment rod (you can see the rod when the shutter is open on B). You'll need a forked tool to loosen the locking collar, and a small screwdriver to adjust the rod. At least, that was the arrangement on the earlier models. http://flic.kr/s/aHsjGNUCUC
PF

Chaffinch
Tinkerer
Username: Chaffinch

Post Number: 28

Posted on Thursday, August 29, 2013 - 11:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the replies! I'll start with the mirror adjustment, and go forward from there.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration