Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica Lynx14E shutter problem. Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Yashica Lynx14E shutter problem. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Shogoki
Tinkerer
Username: Shogoki

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, August 29, 2013 - 11:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello, today i acquired a yashica lynx 14e in good state, i cock the camera the shutter blades close but when i fire this blades opens very very slow and remains open (in a star pattern)and closes only if i cock again.
I cleanead the blades with isoprpyl alcohol and no effect, also the shutter buttom are very very soft.

Thanks

Lrsnrl
Tinkerer
Username: Lrsnrl

Post Number: 32

Posted on Friday, August 30, 2013 - 09:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just about every leaf shutter camera will have
this problem. These cameras have been sitting on
a shelf for the last thirty or forty years and in
that time the lubricants inside the camera have
seeped into the shutter blades causing them to
stick together. Flood cleaning with a solvent as
you have done seems to work but those who use this
method use Ronsonol (cigarette lighter fluid) but
sometimes this works but care must be taken to
use enough fluid to wash out all of the old oil.

I tried this method and it did not work out that
well. It is best to disassemble the entire shutter
mechinism and clean the blades AND the rest of
the parts of the shutter.

Wm_nilliam
Tinkerer
Username: Wm_nilliam

Post Number: 15

Posted on Saturday, August 31, 2013 - 02:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am an incorrigible flood cleaner due to the fact that moving the oil and dirt around in a stuck shutter is often sufficient to get the thing working fine. Sometimes it takes a couple tries (and lots of q-tips.) before the oil and dirt settles in the optimal places but I've had good results. Lighter fluid is my solvent of choice.
Lrsnrl is right that the BEST method is disassembly and a full CLA but I've got a couple of very clean shutters that did not reassemble quite as well as I'd have liked. They're in boxes patiently awaiting an improvement in my mechanical skills.
The Yashinon 1.4 is a sweet lens. If the rest of the camera is in nice shape, a professional CLA might be worthwhile.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration