Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Remove front lens Sakar 500mm mirror ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Remove front lens Sakar 500mm mirror for cleaning « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gwbdirect
Tinkerer
Username: Gwbdirect

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, September 04, 2013 - 06:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a 500mm mirror lens that is fogged inside. How do I remove the front lens so I can clean it.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 1093

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, September 05, 2013 - 06:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In many of these cheaper mirror lenses, the front element is retained by a threaded ring screwed into what is the filter mount thread on a normal optic. Otherwise look for a focus stop screw in the side of the barrel, unscrew and remove the focusing section from the barrel - not not forget to mark position of front section and count turns to release point. DO NOT touch the surface silvered mirrors unless you really know what you are doing - you might end up with a lens that performs far worse than its present fogged state allows.

I have altered various makes of this type of lens to fit various medium format cameras and in every case lens construction has been very simple.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration