Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

EdixaFlex Mirror Return Needs Adjustment Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » EdixaFlex Mirror Return Needs Adjustment « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chrisb
Tinkerer
Username: Chrisb

Post Number: 40

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, September 08, 2013 - 01:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They say Waaske spent time at Pentacon/Praktica before he was with Wirgin, and I can believe that based on seeing how this ca. 1959 EdixaFlex operates. Looks to be a model AL or BL(?), though there is no indication other than "Edixa Flex" on the body.

Anyway, there are several issues with this camera, but right now I'm trying to deal with a problem of the mirror not latching/locking in the return position when film is wound. Seems to be a question of adjustment, but I'm not sure how to achieve that, and before taking things apart that I don't need to, I thought I'd seek input from the group.

This 3-picture set on Flickr should tell you what you need to know:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16916627@N06/sets/72157635432233566/

Is there some kind of adjustment in the bottom plate mechanism, or am I going to have to open things up further? Anything I should know about further disassembly, pitfalls, etc.?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Chrisb
Tinkerer

Post Number: 41

Posted on Sunday, September 08, 2013 - 12:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bump?

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 1095

Posted on Monday, September 09, 2013 - 09:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Unfortunately the link does not work - so I cannot make any suggestions as I am not totally familiar with the internals of this model.

Jeffk
Tinkerer
Username: Jeffk

Post Number: 91

Posted on Monday, September 09, 2013 - 10:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know nothing about this camera, but the link does work, you have to copy/paste the whole thing (from http to the last /) into a new browser window.

Chrisb
Tinkerer

Post Number: 42

Posted on Monday, September 09, 2013 - 11:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes. Despite checking the "Enable HTML" box, the entire link did not embed. I will try pasting the link again, but you may well need to copy/paste as JeffK suggests.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16916627@N06/sets/72157635432233566/

Chrisb
Tinkerer

Post Number: 43

Posted on Monday, September 09, 2013 - 11:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nope, it still doesn't work. If you click the link, and then paste this

@N06/sets/72157635432233566/

onto the end of the url in the address bar, and hit return, it will load. Or just copy.paste the entire link.

Donnie_strickland
Tinkerer
Username: Donnie_strickland

Post Number: 184

Posted on Monday, September 09, 2013 - 11:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

link

Chrisb
Tinkerer

Post Number: 44

Posted on Monday, September 09, 2013 - 07:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you, Donnie Strickland.

For those of you unfamiliar with Flickr, there is accompanying text in the page header. It will pop up if you hover over it. Click on each photo to open it in full size on a separate page, with the same text/description pasted into the caption/comments.

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 649

Posted on Monday, September 09, 2013 - 08:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I solved the long Flickr URL problem by selecting the short URL for my posts here. And in Google Chrome, if you highlight the entire link, then right click on it, it gives you an option to open the link.

PF

Fidji
Tinkerer
Username: Fidji

Post Number: 65

Posted on Tuesday, September 10, 2013 - 05:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As I understand it, if you push C upwards in pic 2 the mirror locks in position. If that's the case, I assume that there is wear either at the pivot of B [the large screw head], or the pivot of the cam A, or the face of the cam and it's follower [the lower of the parallel strips on B. Maybe it's a mix of all 3.
Check if the large screw on B is tight and there is no movement between B and the shaft to which it's attached. If nothing can be tightened there, you will have to take up the slack between the cam and the lower parallel strip. This can be by bending the strip down [may involve removing from camera and heating], or adding metal to it. A quick and easier repair might be to put a blob of epoxy glue on C where B pushes against it [not for the purists].

Chrisb
Tinkerer

Post Number: 45

Posted on Tuesday, September 10, 2013 - 09:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fidji,

Thanks for the suggestions. Everything seems pretty tightly in place, i.e. no slack in the movements. I already considered the "bend or add metal" option but at this point am hoping to find a better solution. I do prefer to assume that the system, as designed, works just fine. At this point I am leaning towards exploring whether I can open up the front to better see the internals, but without having to remove the mirror cage. If I *am* going to "jury rig" it, in the end, it seems that tweaking "C" would be the optimum choice.

Anyway, still holding out hope that someone familiar with these older German SLR bodies will chime in.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration