Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Mamiya 6 V Folder - Rangefinder problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Mamiya 6 V Folder - Rangefinder problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Westcoastpete
Tinkerer
Username: Westcoastpete

Post Number: 6

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, September 10, 2013 - 01:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All

I have a Mamiya 6 V folder that had a sticky shutter at slow speeds. I managed to fix that, and I calibrated the rangefinder at the same time. I've just run my first roll of film through it, but I had a problem with rangefinder going out of calibration. I was out on the road at the time, so just shot the roll by guessing the focus and by and large I got it right, it's only a couple of low light (wide open aperture) shots where I got it wrong.

Anyway, when I got home and set about calibrating it, I couldn't get it all lined up before the adjusting screw completely unwound. Removing the top plate, I found the following:

RED - Shows the part that moves within the rangefinder. It is pushed out by a spring where the purple arrow is. At the moment, with this pulled all the way out (towards the arrow), I can just about say it's calibrated to infinity. It's not perfect though, and it won't stay all the way out with the rest of the mechanism assembled.

GREEN CIRCLE - shows two alignment marks on the focus actuating cog (the big silver one, which actuates the movement of the film plane) and the rangefinder cog, with its expanding circle. The other alignment mark you can see there - the longer one - aligns with the grub screw when the focus is at its close limit.

YELLOW - Grub screw. This is has a pointed end that pushes onto a thin metal band, keeping it held against the expanding circle. Before I had this problem, this adjustment was easy to make and had plenty of the screw still engaged.

BLUE - The hole used to calibrate vertical adjustment of the rangefinder

ORANGE - the rangefinder window.

I can't see how I can calibrate this without altering parts (filing/grinding), and that can't be right because it was fine before. I feel like something critical must have moved or broken at some point, but I can't work out what. I don't want to adjust the focusing limits on the silver cog because I know that the focus works, it's just the rangefinder that doesn't.

So, can anyone help me identify where I'm going wrong?

Thanks

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration