Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Zuiko OM 50mm 1:1.4 Dented Screw-in Area Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Zuiko OM 50mm 1:1.4 Dented Screw-in Area « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mprezioso
Tinkerer
Username: Mprezioso

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 08:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone,

I am completely new to this website, but thank god you exist!

I have just recently bought a Zuiko OM 50mm 1:1.4, which I use in conjunction to my OM-1 (MD). I got it through eBay and am rather happy with it. The only one problem though, which I'd like if possible to have fixed, is this one:
I cannot protect the outer glass of the lens with any (protective) filter because the screw-in area is dented and no filter will fit. The lens per se works fine, but I really would like to have the lens protected by putting some filter in front of it.
The dent points 'inwards', i.e. towards the lens' glass.
I hope that makes sense. If necessary I will send and/or post a picture of the damaged area.

Cheers!

Matteo Prezioso
Essex, UKDamaged lens 1of2damaged lens 2of2

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 481

Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 08:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are tools made for fixing these dents, which you can find at Micro-tools.com. One is a sort of reversed vise, with jaws curved on the outside to fit the shape of the ring.... the other is a wooden block with a series of half-round cutouts in the top, which you use for a support to re-form the ring. The wooden block probably does the better job of it....

Rlc
Tinkerer
Username: Rlc

Post Number: 38

Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 01:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Henry Taber has an excellent web site for home made dent removal tool. https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/filterringtool.html
I have used this method several times with great results. Richard.

F16sunshyn
Tinkerer
Username: F16sunshyn

Post Number: 32

Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 11:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would suggest to support your local camera repair shop. If you do not plan to get into camera repair/rebuild as a hobby. It is well worth it to have someone do this sort of repair for you. Small shops are a dyeing breed, it is nice to keep them going. My un-researched guess is many here at this site are current or retired camera repair shop techs or owners. You have a great camera it is worth it to support someone who can keep it great. Just my two bits. The price of the tool you need can go to your local tech. BTW I am not one of these folks. Just a person who appreciates the kraft.

Andy

Onehalfplus10
Tinkerer
Username: Onehalfplus10

Post Number: 3

Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 04:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lots of repair shops will be glad to do that repair for you. $85/hr. You can buy a Minty 50mm 1.4 for $90 or less.

Find another dented lens on eBay and practice on that one. Then do your Zuiko. Micro-Tools.com has a terrific little metal hammer for this stuff.

You can make some extra bucks doing these minor repairs to lens, then but 'em back on eBay saying what was done. Will pay for your tools purchase in no time!!

Lenses are NOT difficult - if you take your time and be gentle. The hard part with lens is DESIGNING them, not making them. Take a couple messed up lens apart and you'll see how simple they work.

Have fun - and buy some loups (magnifing lenses) while yer looking thru Micro-Tools.com site!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration