Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta SRT 101 Focal Plane Shutter S... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Minolta SRT 101 Focal Plane Shutter Stuck « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Two40
Tinkerer
Username: Two40

Post Number: 2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 05:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all :-)

Today I received another camera to add to the growing family. I really like this one as it came with nice lenses and it seems like a nice SLR.

My problem is with the focal plane shutter. After taking a photo it slides back but not all the way. For those that don't know what I'm talking about, it's the fabric loking part that slides open when you press the shutter to expose your film and then closes. Is there anything I can do? Should I just start tearing this body apart to check the rails and so on or will it be beyond a newbies abilities?

Also, is it normal for these cameras to have a completely black viewfinder? Seems strange to me. I don't think I've worked out all the quirks with this one.

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 41

Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 09:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Regarding the black viewfinder - does your 101 have the mirror lockup, and is it turned to the up position? That's the most common cause. If that's not it, I'm at a loss as to what it could be - the mirror should at least come down when winding after the shutter has been tripped. Lack of lubrication can cause mirrors on the SRT series to stay up after the shutter has been tripped, but the mirror will come down when wound for the next shot. As for the shutter, it may have been damaged, or as you say, come off the rails. I'd say it's beyond a newbie's ability - it's easier to just buy a working 101 body, they aren't expensive, and then you can use the lenses.

Two40
Tinkerer
Username: Two40

Post Number: 3

Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 03:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you very much. I think I'll chalk it up to a learning experience and move on with a different body.

The mirror lock up is not on. It appears that the mirror just gets stuck.

Thanks again.

Wernerjb
Tinkerer
Username: Wernerjb

Post Number: 272

Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 08:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is the tinkerers' corner. Why not try and fix it, if there is nothing to lose?

Mndean
Tinkerer

Post Number: 42

Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 02:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, in my defense I would have recommended he try a repair but there were a couple of reasons why I didn't. First, he's a self-proclaimed newbie whose second post here describes a problem that appears to require a rather involved stripdown. Second, being a newbie also implies he may not have the right tools to strip the body down to the shutter. Third, working Minolta SRT101 bodies can be had for $25 or so if one shops carefully (I got an SRT102 for that price).

If he wants to try it, there is an SRT101 repair manual available free on the internet that's pretty good, but it won't diagnose what needs doing. Hopefully, it would be apparent what's wrong, and there are many here who could help.

I always think a newbie repairer should start with a simple viewfinder camera, move to lens/shutter rangefinders or TLRs, then to focal-plane shutter rangefinders or SLRs. It's easier to understand the concepts (at least they were easier to understand for me) by increasing complexity in steps. Some people who are more mechanically inclined and are comfortable with handling very small parts can obviously go much quicker. I was able to "get" leaf shutters pretty quickly because I have repaired watches, and some of the bits and pieces are similar. Even so, I would still balk at touching a Kodak Synchro-Rapid 800 without a manual :-)

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 176

Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 05:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One thing to check first is the mirror damper foam strip which gets sticky with age, this is a very common problem. Carefully cock the shutter then without a lense gently take your fingernail and pull down on the edge of the mirror, if it plops down you know what it is. There is a piece of foam then that has to be removed from the holder on the top of the mirror box. You will find supplies on this web page to replace it. Don

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 177

Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 05:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As to the curtain not moving all the way there could be dirt on the roller pivot or the camera has been stored cocked and weakened the curtain roller springs, which can be compensated for on the bottom of the body by removing the two screws on the bottom plate. remove plate, you will see two screws with a locking screw or nut. If you are daring tighten the curtain that is weak. Now there is also a excellent site by Rick Oleson that gives all the details .Before you start read it .Don

Wernerjb
Tinkerer
Username: Wernerjb

Post Number: 274

Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 09:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I did not want to persuade someone to thoughtlessly start a kamikaze operation, of course not. Personally speaking, I am far from being the perfect repairman, but compared to my initial tinkering stage several years ago I have made good progress and have purposefully bought sad victims of heavy camera abuse and restored them to full function. You can still see the scars on the bodies, so to speak, but they have all become good picture takers again. If had been given some encouragement to try more complicated gear earlier I'd have started sooner than I actually did. The good advice from many people here on this forum (some of those have left for good, it seems) has helped me to develop skills I did not even know that I had them! A seriously broken (in the literal sense of the word) K auto S2: no problem any longer. A seriously damaged Min Hi-M 7 or 9: a cinch!
SLRs are a different matter, I know. But one has to start somewhere, somehow.

Mndean
Tinkerer

Post Number: 43

Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 10:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Being that I started tinkering with a Hi-Matic 9 about 15 years ago and unsuccessfully, of course. After that I stopped and backed up a bit. I learned my lesson the hard way. Hate to see anyone get frustrated and quit after one camera.

Elwrongo
Tinkerer
Username: Elwrongo

Post Number: 14

Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 10:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I read this post by MnDean with interest as my recently acquired SRT101 has exactly this symptom. Where should this lubricatiuon take place and with what lubricant? Thanks

"Lack of lubrication can cause mirrors on the SRT series to stay up after the shutter has been tripped, but the mirror will come down when wound for the next shot."

Elwrongo
Tinkerer
Username: Elwrongo

Post Number: 15

Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 10:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also a thanks to Wernerjb if he's out there for helping me get my Olympus RC fixed. I lost his email and couldn't thank him that way. His profile seems to have gone.

Mndean
Tinkerer

Post Number: 127

Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 02:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jon Goodman posted a nice batch of photos which show exactly which gear needs lubing under the bottom plate. Link is here:
http://photo.net/classic-cameras-forum/00SXnR

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration