Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus OM-1 Top/Bottom Switch Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Olympus OM-1 Top/Bottom Switch « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rbi99
Tinkerer
Username: Rbi99

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 11:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My light meter quit functioning on my OM-1, and it was cheaper to buy another body on ebay then try and get it fixed. However, the replacement body is the black model and my original body is black and silver. I know I can swap the bottom of my silver with the black model, but can the top be switched? If it needs to be done by a repair shop, any idea what that would cost or if it is even practical to try? The top and bottom of my original is in better shape, and I definately like how it looks better.

Rip_lipper
Tinkerer
Username: Rip_lipper

Post Number: 4

Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 10:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Instead, you probable should have just bought a light meter :-)
What probably happened was you lost the connection at the battery contact.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 585

Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 09:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sure, you can switch the top and bottom. The trickiest part is unscrewing the ring around the flash shoe connection, you can easily slip and scratch the nice black paint on the cover. There is a guy named Joe Beljan who made and sold special OM1 tools on eBay under the name "beljanmfg" .. they are well worth the price even to do just one camera, if the black parts are nice enough not to want to scratch them. I can email you a sketch showing how the cover comes off.

Olympfix
Tinkerer
Username: Olympfix

Post Number: 5

Posted on Saturday, May 02, 2009 - 05:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are two different ways the meter switch is linked from the top to the body- the old compression switch, and the new sweep switch are different and not interchangeable. Unfortunately, there's no easy way to tell from the outside which is which.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 875

Posted on Saturday, May 02, 2009 - 10:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Bruce! Welcome to the forum!

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 77

Posted on Saturday, May 02, 2009 - 12:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you do take the top cover off, it may be worth the time and effort to remove the old rubber foam placed between the prism top and the eyepiece. If is starts to degrade it will attack the surface of the prism and will eventually damage the 'silvering'.

A point to note; the pin-faced disk on the wind arm, it is only a thin decorator plate glued on with contact cement. A more substantial retainer is under it.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration