Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta x700 shutter not operating Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Minolta x700 shutter not operating « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Markmadras
Tinkerer
Username: Markmadras

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 03:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have the Minolta x700. Not used for many years but would like to repair. Everything appears normal through the viewfinder, lights on etc., but press button to take a pic and nothing happens. All the lights stay on without fading. Can anyone help?

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 686

Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 02:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The standard answer is a failed capacitor. X370's and X700's had so much trouble with these that micro-tools sells replacements for them.

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 85

Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 02:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mark, out of curiosity, what are the first two numbers of your X700's serial number? I'm trying to get up a more accurate list of ones that may have bad capacitors. There's already a list of sorts, but it's not very comprehensive. It usually just says to stay away from ones with serial numbers at 27xxxxx and over, and some say 25xxxxx and over. If my X700 is in any danger, I'd rather buy the kit now and be ready for the inevitable.

Markmadras
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 07:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you for the replies. Is there a web site for micro-tools. How do I get to the capacitor, are there any pictures or instructions available on line.
I will gladly post the serial number but can't see it on the camera so will need some guidance to find it.

Seanmckinney
Tinkerer
Username: Seanmckinney

Post Number: 3

Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 08:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The serial number is in the hotshoe on the top of the camera

Markmadras
Tinkerer

Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 08:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Seanmckinney, that's well hidden.

The number is:2542155

Mndean
Tinkerer

Post Number: 86

Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 02:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, that clarifies that it's likely the capacitors. There are sites that have photos of the caps locations. One is under the bottom cover, one is under the top cover near the rewind knob.

Pictures showing the caps location are at this site:
http://twid.de/x700/

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 689

Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 02:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.micro-tools.com/store/SearchByKeyword.aspx?word=capacitor

Markmadras
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 03:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank's to everyone who has given me help. I found the site showing the location of the capacitors which is very helpfull as it also shows how to take the top off and what order the parts come off in (very useful for re-assembly). I found the capacitors on the Maplin site at only 11p each a fair bit cheaper than micro tools and you don't have to buy a pack of ten.

Markmadras
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 03:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This may be of interest to some people. Having removed and tested the two capacitors it was found that the one below the bottom cover was OK but the one in the top (very difficult to reach with a soldering iron) was defective.

Mndean
Tinkerer

Post Number: 87

Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 09:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That happens, but don't be too sanguine about that bottom one staying good - it's pretty much a congenital problem with the late X700s, so enjoy it working well while you can. At least the bottom one is an easy one to replace.

Markmadras
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 02:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As I had to remove both capacitors in order to test them I will be using new ones when I re-assemble. In my own experience with electronic components capacitors can normally be relied on to last a long, long time unless the rated voltage is exceeded. I guess Minolta were unlucky to get a batch of sub standard ones. These capacitors are from Nichicon a large capacitor manufacturer. I found it of interest on their web site a warning of counterfeit capacitors appearing on the market which are of dubious qulity. There is no date given on this warning but maybe it has happened before. The new capacitors I am fitting should outlive the camera.

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 47

Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 02:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The X-300 (X-370 in the US?) is known to have the same problem - but only has the bottom capacitor. The problem continued in the Seagull versions (DF-300 etc.) So I don't believe it's one bad patch but a general problem of the capacitors. I had the capacitor problem on a Carena branded Seagull. Cost 38 cents for the capacitor and a beer for a friend who is much better with the soldering iron than I am.

Markmadras
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 03:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

New capacitors fitted but the original problem remains, any further advice would be appreciated. Is it possible to download the service manual from anywhere?

Don
Tinkerer
Username: Don

Post Number: 43

Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 10:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have some service notes + a schematic if that will help.Email back if interested. Also check www.manuals2go.com

Markmadras
Tinkerer

Post Number: 8

Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 12:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the help Don.
Any other advice will be most welcome. I have seen in the archives that the capacitor fault is normally confirmed by the display led's going off when the shutter release is operated. My camera's display stays on, could this indicate it is not the capacitors which I have just replaced.

Vonage6591
Tinkerer
Username: Vonage6591

Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 12:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First off sorry for digging this thread up but I had a problem very similar to that of the OP. On my x700 I replaced the battery because I haven't used it in about 2 years. After replacing the batteries and switching it on, nothing lit up. I took a peak at the bottom capacitor and it shows no sign of leaking or corrosion. I've removed the top and looked at the top capacitor and it looked perfect just like the bottom. I read that connecting a flash while the camera was on could fry everything, is there any way to test if this is the case?

Mikel
Tinkerer
Username: Mikel

Post Number: 119

Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 06:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The external flash problem is well known. It fries IC1 and craters the camera. It's usually best to buy another used camera at that point.

But the symptoms don't usually include total inaction. Check your battery indicator first. If that is not working, I would remove the battery holder and clean the contacts with something like a pencil eraser. Clean the batteries too.

Minoltas of this generation are also known for developing poor electrical contacts in switches. Sometimes they can be cleaned by moving them. I'd move the on-off switch around a bit also.

Vonage6591
Tinkerer
Username: Vonage6591

Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 02:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow I feel so stupid, thats all it was. I removed the battery cover and sure enough on the - side there was a tiny bit of corrosion. Cleaned it off and it works like a charm. Thank you very much.

Photoflip
Tinkerer
Username: Photoflip

Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 02:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Minolta X700 ser. no. 2350168. I had it stored without batteries for 2 years, and decided to get it out and start using it. It seemed to work all right at first( no film), but quit working,and nothing is lit, looking into the view finder. Help anyone please? I would like to start using this camera again. Thanks

Mndean
Tinkerer

Post Number: 120

Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 12:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Check for battery chamber corrosion anyway. Usually if there's a capacitor problem the display will light up in the viewfinder but go dead when you press the shutter. Often the mirror will come up and stay up, too. 23xxxxx shouldn't have bad caps, but you never can be sure.

Photoflip
Tinkerer

Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 06:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the response. The mirror did go up and stayed there. The battery chamber is like new, bright and shinny. The on-off switch should be ok. The camera was on and I was checking out the F stops when the camera went dead. I may try to take it apart and try to fix it. Most places I checked quoted over $130 to fix it. That is more than I am willing to pay, although the camera is like new, except the one problem, and I have a lot of lens, and accessories for it.

Mndean
Tinkerer

Post Number: 121

Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 03:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This really sounds like bad caps. The capacitor under the bottom plate is easy to change, but the top one requires more work and care. There are websites out there that describe what to do in detail.

Thecameracurecom
Tinkerer
Username: Thecameracurecom

Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 04:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the shutter still doesn't operate after replacing the capacitors there may be a problem with the release magnet.

Photoflip
Tinkerer

Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 05:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Mndean, Are both of the capacitors the same specs.? Where is the best place to buy them?

Mndean
Tinkerer

Post Number: 122

Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 11:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Caps are both the same 220 microfarad, 4v, but as for where to get them, I don't know offhand now. There are places on the net that sell them, but you'll be stuck buying more than you need.

Repair link is here:

http://twid.de/x700/#fixc

Photoflip
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 04:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If there is a problem with the shutter, does the release magnet need replacing, or is there some maintaince that can be done?

Msiegel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 80

Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 09:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

From what I have read so far (never done it myself) cleaning the magnet would be the first thing to try. The magnets themselves are normally OK but gather dust and tiny metal particles which cause the malfunction.
As I said - I've never done it so far (no need).

Markklitsch
Tinkerer
Username: Markklitsch

Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 04:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

good camera that should last. had problems with capacitors and dirty magnets. really should let a trained tech look at it. check out www.thecameracure.com good people

Heatherl
Tinkerer
Username: Heatherl

Posted on Tuesday, July 21, 2009 - 12:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can someone give me some good advice here? I too have a minolta x700 and I believe the capacitors are burnt out. I would replace them, but I do not have a soldering iron, which I believe is required to do so correct? I have called around and the quotes seem to be quite high. I have a friend interested in purchasing the camera and all of the lenses so I would like to have it in good working order. I have tried the batteries, and everything I have read seems to point to the capacitors being burnt out. I am a little nervous to attempt to fix it on my own, but don't want to pay a ton to get it fixed. Help!

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 78

Posted on Tuesday, July 21, 2009 - 01:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try Radio Shack.

Harlee
Tinkerer
Username: Harlee

Post Number: 60

Posted on Tuesday, July 21, 2009 - 07:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For about $54 [that includes shipping]Garry's Camera will go through it completely with a CLA. Garry has done several of my older classic cameras and they now function like new, including a mint Cannon A-1 and a Minolta X-700.

Elwrongo
Tinkerer
Username: Elwrongo

Post Number: 24

Posted on Monday, July 27, 2009 - 06:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My X-700 is serial 2398009 and it seems to have this capacitor problem. My camera repair tech said its had the gong but now I have renewed hope.

Elwrongo
Tinkerer
Username: Elwrongo

Post Number: 37

Posted on Monday, September 21, 2009 - 10:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think its definately the capacitor problem. With new batteries, the lights came on and the shutter suddenly worked. After a few actuations the lights dimmed and then nothing again, shutter stuck. Get me soldering iron out...........

Msiegel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 131

Posted on Tuesday, September 22, 2009 - 05:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Even with a broken capacitor the LEDs should come on again when turning the camera off and then on again. At least they did with my X-300/370 clone which now works like new with the capacitor replaced.
When the LEDs don't come on again there might be a different problem.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration