Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Seagull Phenix 205 HELP ! Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Seagull Phenix 205 HELP ! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Blaz38
Tinkerer
Username: Blaz38

Post Number: 5

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 09:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Seagull Phenix 205. First test film: focus is off. Could probably have fixed that, but also wanted to fix the 1/8 shutter speed that was audibly way off (should have left that alone). Assuming front metal ring was thread mounted, gripped it with hose clamp and turned. Actually no thread mount, broke something inside, and still cannot access the shutter, even after separating the whole lens assembly from the camera body.

1) If someone can help, I'll provide links to pictures of what I have on the bench to help the explanations.

2) The only relevant information I could find was in:
https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/forum/messages/6899/8196.html
where Wernerjb states that he repaired the selftimer of a seagull 205 (must have accessed the shutter). But Wernerjb has disappeared from rangefinderforum. Does anyone know how he can be reached?

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 693

Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 11:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I haven't worked on a Seagull 205, but you might try unscrewing the ID ring inside the front filter thread with a rubber crutch tip or a similar tool. If that doesn't work, look for small set screws around the sides of the lens barrel. There aren't many front barrels that will just unscrew.

Blaz38
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 10:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Rick. No set screws around the barrel.The filter threads stop before reaching the inner rim, so I assumed that they did not double as fixation for the inner/top lid of the lens assembly. I'll have a second look.

Leesobing
Tinkerer
Username: Leesobing

Post Number: 5

Posted on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 09:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

fixing the scews behind the reflex lens lighty,at the same time watching the the view finder until correct

Blaz38
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 10:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you a lot, Leesobing. I give below the links that you sent me by private Email so that they are available to other people.
Accessing the shutter (I guess I need a rubber tool, there are no slots on the cover to be removed):
http://www.china-c-w.com/forum/bbs_show.php?page=0&textID=4379ae09dc846#4379ae09 dc846
Opening the top (easier):
http://www.china-c-w.com/forum/bbs_show.php?page=0&textID=4379446853cab#43794468 53cab

Leesobing
Tinkerer
Username: Leesobing

Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 09:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yes it is using rubber stopper to open cover like hot water bag stopper.

Blaz38
Tinkerer

Post Number: 8

Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 01:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Phenix 205 is now repaired. With the exception of the 1/8 shutter speed, not possible to adjust. Other speeds accurate to better than 10%. Aligned rangefinder. Icing on the cake: new leather.

Warm thanks to 'Leesobing' and Rick. Sample images on:
http://lazareff.perso.cegetel.net/2008-12-Luitel/

What other color?

Fuzzyeyeballs
Tinkerer
Username: Fuzzyeyeballs

Post Number: 4

Posted on Wednesday, May 20, 2009 - 12:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have the rangefinder alignment problem too. From the link above, it's in Chinese and I can't understand a word. Can someone let me know which are the screws for adjusting the alignment? Thanks

Fuzzyeyeballs
Tinkerer
Username: Fuzzyeyeballs

Posted on Wednesday, May 20, 2009 - 07:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Managed to get the top/bottom image aligned but now I'm trying to alighn the left/right issue. Can't find which screw to adjust it. Any help? Thanks

Blaz38
Tinkerer

Post Number: 9

Posted on Sunday, October 18, 2009 - 09:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Already replied (late) to fuzzyeyeballs, but for the forum archive, here is some information on the rangefinder alignment of the Seagull Phenix 205.

Horizontal alignment. Open the camera back. Below the viewfinder there is a screw. Remove it entirely. Inside the hole you can see the horizontal adjustment screw. Advice(s). Use a distant (100m or more) object with good contrast. For optimum accuracy, I put the camera on a tripod and look through the viewfinder with a binocular. Try moving the lens focus to check that the adjustment is repeatable before putting back the obturating screw.

Vertical alignment. Remove the sliding plate in the accessory shoe. This reveals a hole, under which is located the vertical align screw. On my camera, it is not well aligned with the hole, and I would prefer to remove the camera top.

Removal of camera top.
1) Open camera back. Hold the film-rewinding fork (inside, top left) with a screwdriver, while unscrewing the rewind knob.
2) Unscrew the top of the film advance lever (two small holes). I use tweezers, with the tips filed to be fine enough. Remove the various parts, noting their placement for future re-assembly.
3) Two small screws, one below the film rewind knob, the other on the right side of the camra top.
4) Turn the camera upside down before separating the body from the top. This will give you a chance to see how the two parts of the shutter release are supposed to be.
The vertical alignment screw is a vertical brass screw going into the base of the R/F moving mirror.
While the camera top is open, you may want to clean the viewfinder lenses and mirrors; often that makes a difference. I use Q-tips cotton swabs and special liquid for cleaning eyeglasses. Be careful with the semi-transparent mirror.

Hope this helps

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration