Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta SRT 101 Light Meter Problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Minolta SRT 101 Light Meter Problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Izzy
Tinkerer
Username: Izzy

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 12:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,

I bought my Minolta SRT 101 earlier this year (first manual camera) and haven't had any problems with the light meter system, the exposure seemed correct for the first 6 rolls I shot. Last month I changed my battery to a Wein Cell 1.35 volt, and shot my 7th roll of film. However, at one point I forgot to turn off the battery power, and left it in the "On" position for 8 hours, but with a lens cap on. I've since then developed my film and everything looked okay...

I just started my 8th roll of film but noticed that the meter reading seems really off. I tried the "sunny 16" thing and the light meter needle was toward the top of the viewfinder (so that it would have been very overexposed), and when I centered another frame right over a soft light source, it again gave me settings that would have produced an overexposed image.

So! my question is..does this sound like my battery is just dead and I need a new one? or is it possible that my light meter might be damaged from leaving the battery on for 8 hours with the lens cap on? (sorry if this question sounds ridiculous, but I need some definite if not reassuring answer. I love this camera and am worried about the light meter as I'm helpless without it.)

Thanks so much in advance..
Liz

Francis_otto
Tinkerer
Username: Francis_otto

Post Number: 28

Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 09:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear Liz,
I have just dug out a battered old SRT 100 here, with a Wein Cell that has sat in it far too long: the meter-needle sits firmly right up at the top of the viewfinder screen. I seem to remember that the Zinc-air cell has a comparatively short life, once its little green seal has been removed. Why not get a new Wein-cell, try it in the 101, and if it's still no better, quickly replace the green seal, to help keep the battery from running itself down.
As to being helpless without the meter...you can use the 'sunny 16 rule' (ever tried 2minutes at f22 - for Interiors?)? Hand-held exposure meters are too cheap to sell on eBay! Get a little Hanimex, or a Gossen sixtino/sixtry.., or even a Leningrad; even Weston Mks III/IV/V can be picked up quite reasonably now.
Go on: you can do it!
"You know it makes sense!"
... but then, I don't think 1.35V through a meter's cell and circuitry is likely to have fried anything. Absolvo te!

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 100

Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 09:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Liz, as to the second part of your question - no way. You can't realistically damage the meter by leaving it on unless you do it for years (old mercury cells could damage the wiring if the meter wasn't turned off, but it takes a long time for that to happen. Drain the battery yes, but not damage the meter in such a short time. Since the lens was capped, I doubt you could even have drained the battery much in 8 hours. Could your battery possibly be going already? I don't use Wein cells, so I have no idea, but when zinc-air batteries die, the voltage is supposed to go down quickly, so it may be that. Does the meter movie a lot between brighter and dimmer areas? What does the BC position show in the viewfinder? If the battery is still in range, it should be good, and you may have another problem.

Izzy
Tinkerer
Username: Izzy

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 11:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Francis_otto and Mndean for your responses! It seems that perhaps my battery is already weak even though I opened it less than 4 weeks ago. The BC position is usually in range when I first check it after not using the meter for a few hours, but after having it on for a bit the BC position is completely out of range...not very reliable. I've used the meter a few days ago and it seemed to be working fine again, so I don't know what exactly happened before I posted my message, but for now the meter seems okay. However, if my next roll of film comes out overexposed, I'll look into getting a hand-held exposure meter! Thank you again for your tips and advice, I really appreciate it and I'm glad there are other people who know about these things (seems that old film cameras are becoming more rare)! :-)

Russcnz
Tinkerer
Username: Russcnz

Post Number: 1

Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 11:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Liz, I have half a dozen Minolta SRT's, they all run nicely on Energizer 675 hearing aid batteries. They are 1.4 volt zinc-air cells, much cheaper than Wein cells and close enough to original battery voltage (1.35v) Available at any supermarket. The battery is a little loose in the chamber but works fine in my camera's.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration