Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Cleaning a Retina IIa lens Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Cleaning a Retina IIa lens « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nick_merritt
Tinkerer
Username: Nick_merritt

Post Number: 6

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 03:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a IIa that seems great except for one or more hazy lens elements. How do I get at the lens cells, particularly in the front? I'm hoping I don't have to get into the shutter to do so. Thanks.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 742

Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 08:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The front cell just unscrews out of the shutter with your fingers. As for getting to elements within the cell, I've never done that ... but there are 2 tiny little screws in the back of the cell that may prove enlightening.

Nick_merritt
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 05:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Rick. So how to get to the front cell? The reeded edge (like a quarter) chrome ring at the front of the lens doesn't seem to budge when I try unscrewing it -- that seemed like the obvious place to start but I don't want to force it.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 743

Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 06:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

if you get a good enough grip, that unscrews. Try putting on a rubber glove, like the ones made for washing dishes... that will probably give you a good enough grip.

Nick_merritt
Tinkerer

Post Number: 8

Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 01:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Rick, we'll give it a try -- I have a strap wrench also that I've used for loosening filters.

Nick_merritt
Tinkerer

Post Number: 10

Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 05:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I followed Rick's advice and indeed, a strap wrench works wonders. But once I got the front cell off and loosened the set screws to separate the frontmost element from the second group, it became clear the haze is inside the second group -- and I see no way to separate that. Oh well -- I've gotten good results from lenses that are far worse!

Top506
Tinkerer
Username: Top506

Post Number: 10

Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 08:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nick;
Which lens do you have? I have a IIa doner laying around....

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration