Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Kodak Stereo Camera - Sticky Shutter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Kodak Stereo Camera - Sticky Shutter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sapata
Tinkerer
Username: Sapata

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 01:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
Just bought recently a Kodak Stereo Camera with a sticky shutter. It was VERY slow when I first got but since I've been firing the shutter everyday it started working, but sometimes the problem comes back. I know the best way would be taking to someone experienced to do a full cleaning (and pay a lot...) but since the camera did some improvements, I was wondering if there's something I could do fix it or, if not, a recomendation for a good place in London that can fix it.
Thank you very much !

Gzuiko
Tinkerer
Username: Gzuiko

Post Number: 2

Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 08:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had mine overhauled by Jess Powell, in California. He was very fast and reasonable. Mine looks and works like new now. Well worth having this done.

Sapata
Tinkerer
Username: Sapata

Post Number: 3

Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 03:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Gzuiko, but I'm in London... here's everything is so expensive regarding repairs..

Gzuiko
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 07:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I got his video at first but I got cold feet on doing the repair myself, so I sent it to Jess finally. I went through years of dry firing the shutter to keep it limbered up. Well, good luck with it. Sorry I couldn't help.

Hai
Tinkerer
Username: Hai

Post Number: 15

Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 04:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Tomosy's camera book suggests to flood it with lighter fluid and graphite powder. I tried it once and got the shutter completely jammed... BUT if you only clean the mechanism and not the shutter blades, it might help...

Gzuiko
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 04:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Powell recommends using Carter's Rubber Cement Thinner, which is no longer being made, so I finally gave up and sent it to him to fix. You do have to take the shutter off the camera before soaking it in the solvent.

Pousao
Tinkerer
Username: Pousao

Post Number: 2

Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 03:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi
If you have some patience and good hands you could try it yourself. What I did was print this tutorial cold Kodak Stereo Camera in the middle of this page:
http://www.rmm3d.com/3d.encyclopedia/repairs/repairs.html
and I also mailed to M.Butkus and he send me the exploded manual for kodak stereo camera that you will find here:
http://www.butkus.org/chinon/repair_manuals/kodak_repair_books.htm
as Kodak Stereo - parts list.
I reed them, follow the instructions and managed to put everthing together with no leftovers. Fire that shouter on and on you will notice the difference if you hear as you go on.
You have a manual shouter setting underneath for this purpose.
I only clean mine with a tooth brush and some cloth.
Pousao

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration