Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Replacing rewind knob shaft on pentax... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Replacing rewind knob shaft on pentax k1000 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Uawpipefitter
Tinkerer
Username: Uawpipefitter

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 04:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

how do i replace a rewind knob shaft on a pentax k1000?

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 746

Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 08:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After unscrewing the knob, you should be able to just push the old shaft out downward and insert the new one from the bottom. If there are any obstructions (sometimes the detents can be a little aggressive) you should be able to reach into the opening from above with a thin rod and press these back out of the way as you insert the shaft.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 468

Posted on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 05:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you push the old shaft out with a length of metal rod that is the same diameter as the original, then use the new shaft to push the rod back out. You will find that in most cases any detents will be held in their original position, thus allowing a snag free exchange. The rods I use for this operation are counter drilled at the end, so that they fit over any threaded portion that retains the actual knob.

Josie14
Tinkerer
Username: Josie14

Post Number: 1

Posted on Wednesday, April 15, 2009 - 11:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What do I do if my back cover release know poops off, AND my shaft part, thing, went in my camera. Now I can't open my camera!!!

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 861

Posted on Thursday, April 16, 2009 - 08:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Get a small crochet hook and reach into the hole ... the latch will be toward the left side (towards the end of the camera), maybe 1/2 inch below the surface. Feel around with the hook and pull up on whatever you can get it to snag on. Before many tries you'll find the right thing and it will come open.

Josie14
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 11:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

THANKS SO MUCH!!!! :-) I love you, you're my hero!!!

Josie14
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Tuesday, April 21, 2009 - 12:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, but one thing, my metal rod thing wont go back into the shaft part. it gets stuck in the middle. For some reason!

Josie14
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Tuesday, April 21, 2009 - 12:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Never mind, got it all fixed up!

Bossman
Tinkerer
Username: Bossman

Post Number: 49

Posted on Thursday, April 23, 2009 - 11:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can also cut a small notch at he top of the rewind shaft so that it will slide past the spring inside the shaft well. Cut the notch at an angle about like this / and when you insert shaft into well, turn notch towards rewind end of camera as you push up into well.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration