Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Baldamatic III Rangefinder Alignment Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Baldamatic III Rangefinder Alignment « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Hai
Tinkerer
Username: Hai

Post Number: 8

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 12:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just bought a Baldamatic III (great camera by the way...). The rangefinder is a bit off. Does someone know how to align it? (Since it's such a nice camera, I don't want to open it before I know what to do...)
Thanks!

Hovaness
Tinkerer
Username: Hovaness

Post Number: 70

Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 12:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is an access port for horizontal alignment at the back of the top cover on the side opposite the viewfinder, but it is difficult to reach the appropriate internal adjustment screw, which is diagonally offset from the port hole. The better approach is to remove the top cover so that you can see what you are adjusting. This will also make the vertical alignment adjustment accessible. Note that the strap lugs are also the bolts that hold the top cover on.

This is a beautiful camera that will reward careful restoration. (Kodak Retina Reflex lenses with rangefinder cams can be adapted to the Deckel shutter of the Baldamatic III.)

Hai
Tinkerer

Post Number: 10

Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 12:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It IS beautiful, so I don't want to scratch it (or not to be able to reassemble it)...
I removed the front rectangular frame (the one for the meter, VF and RF) by unscrewing the 2 small screws on the sides and then I removed the top (by removing the strap lugs). Inside - the diagonal larger screw is for the horizontal alignment and the very small one on top is for vertical?

Hovaness
Tinkerer
Username: Hovaness

Post Number: 71

Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 08:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Place the camera on a tripod and aim it at a high-contrast black and white target, like strips of black tape on a white background. Open the shutter with a locking cable release on the B setting. Focus the camera to produce a sharp image on a ground glass placed at the film plane. Look at the focus target through the viewfinder as you make (small) adjustments to the alignment screws. This will avoid any confusion about which screw controls which axis of rangefinder alignment.

Hai
Tinkerer

Post Number: 11

Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 01:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks! the small screw is for the horizontal alignment and the large one (the one that has access from the back) is for the vertical...

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration