Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Om-4 rewind knob Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Om-4 rewind knob « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Wrighc
Tinkerer
Username: Wrighc

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 06:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i just got an om-4 that my grandfather gave me, but unfortunately, when i try to open the back of the camera to load film, it doesnt pop open. the rewind knob goes up all the way, but the back stays closed...is there anyway to fix this?

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 762

Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 08:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chances are that the foam light seals in the back are just sticky and holding it shut. It's a little difficult to coax an OM back open because they don't have an overhanging edge like a lot of cameras do. Try sticking a flap of duct tape to the left hand end of the back, and pull back with that while holding the knob up. Don't force the knob too hard, it is possible to bend the latch release linkage if you overdo it... it doesn't take a tremendous amount of force to release the latch.

If this proves to be the problem, you can buy a light seal replacement kit for about $10 from Jon Goodman, who regularly contributes here and who sells on eBay under the name "Interslice".

Wrighc
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 10:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i tried the duct tape, but unfortunetly the back didnt budge one bit...is there anyway to open the back manually but unscrewing the bottom or something? also, the exposure for the camera is all over the place...no matter what shutter speed i set, it does the same exposure everytime...any possible fix? or would i be better served going to a professional to get this camera fixed.

Wrighc
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 02:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

bump?

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 220

Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 03:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The OM-series cameras all (as far as I am aware) meter off the film plane. If you don't have a film in, it will read off the black pressure plate and meter for that, so you are unlikely to be able to tell if it is working properly without a film in.

As for how you get it open to get a film in... Sorry, no idea!

Wrighc
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 03:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

even in manual mode?

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 486

Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 04:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It sounds as if the latch release linkage has already been strained, hence the failure to lift the catch. As I have not worked on this model, I do not know of any stripdown dodges to circumnavigate the jam.

However you may find that pressing the door firmly shut - at the catch end - BEFORE pulling up the rewind knob. Then holding the knob fully out, use the duct tape pull to open the door. This sometimes works on strained linkages.

Wrighc
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 07:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the duct tape isnt working...is that the only possible way?

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 764

Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 07:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can remove the latch. Peel back the leatherette just forward of the seam at the left hand end, and you will find a metal strip held by a few flat head screws. Remove this strip, the latch is under it. You can now release the latch from here and pry the back open.

Wrighc
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 09:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hmm...thanks rick. i took off the two screws and bolts, but i'm at a loss on how to take this metal slab out...

Wrighc
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 09:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

atually, just figured it out, but now that i have the back open, how do i make sure that it opens by using the rewind knob?

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 765

Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 02:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Measure exactly where the latch hook goes when you pull the knob up, and compare this to where the mating hook is on the back. Chances are that by now the top end of the latch piece is bent where it engages the rewind shaft, and it won't go far enough. It may be possible to straighten this without disassembling the top cover, but it's a long shot: you can buy an inexpensive plastic otoscope (the thing the doctor uses to look inside your ears) for around $10 at pharmacies... use one of these to look down into the rewind shaft opening to see exactly where the metal piece is that engages the shaft (it will be toward the forward-left quarter of the hole). If you can reach it, you might try pressing down firmly on the top of this piece with a metal rod to bend it back down to its proper position. Not sure if this will work, but if it does it will save a lot of time.

REMOVE the back from the camera for these operations... having it snap shut with the rewind shaft removed doesn't make things a whole lot easier.

Wrighc
Tinkerer

Post Number: 8

Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 07:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And what if I need to take off the top cover? Same thing?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration