Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus 35RC Automatic Exposure does ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Olympus 35RC Automatic Exposure does not fire « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Foto4fun
Tinkerer
Username: Foto4fun

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 10:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all...

I read all the topics about 35RC but can't find anything relates to my problem. Desperately need your help.

My Olympus 35RC fires fine in manual exp mode and flash mode but NOT in A (automatic) Exposure mode. The battery is good. I tried all the shutter speeds, ISO settings... I though the meter cell is death so I use another cell from another camera to check but doesn't help ( I think the meter cell is still good because it seems to meter in the flash mode ).

any suggestions are welcome.
thanks

Harryrag
Tinkerer
Username: Harryrag

Post Number: 33

Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 02:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is no metering in the flash mode. What you see and take to be the meter needle is in fact the aperture indicator.
The meter in this camera sits at the bottom on the right of the camera seen from the front. After taking off the bottom cover it is easy to find out whether the meter is working. Be extra careful, the meter needle is very vulnerable.
Quite often in the RC the white wire to the battery terminal has corroded though. IIRC the battery box is glued in and has to be pried out for resoldering the wire, again, do be careful it breaks easily.

Foto4fun
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 08:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

@Harryrag: thank you ... I open the bottom plate, the meter needle does move when I connect the battery (+) to the camera body using a piece of wire. Does it suppose to go all the way? Mine did.

The piece of wire that connects the (-) to the meter mechanism, does it also connect to other place? I couldn't see without prying off the battery box.

once again... thanks

Harryrag
Tinkerer
Username: Harryrag

Post Number: 35

Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 02:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Like in most of the vintage RF cameras metering in the RC is possible only in Auto. If the meter positively responds to electricity there is a number of other culprits to be considered, the battery switch which I would suspect next. It is behind the front plate, under the viewfinder, as shown here http://homepage1.nifty.com/fukucame/tips/35rc_t.htm , a defective LDR behind the name plate ring opposite the film sensitivity window or defective wiring, parts or missing contact on the switchboard on top close to the selftimer array, see this link http://endoscopy.jp/moto/camera/camera_repair/olympus_35rc/index.htm . Unfortunately the classical Olys are not so easy as other cameras, as the Olympus engineers went their own ways and gave the RC and RD very unique shutters and leverage systems.

Foto4fun
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 08:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

@Harryrag: thank you so much....I think I found the problem. It's the battery switch, it doesn't make contact with the other terminal in A mode. Hmmm, now I need to fix without taking the lens out.
I break the screw that hold the timer knob :-( oh well, I guess I never use the timer anyway.

thanks again.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration