Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Trip 35 ASA dial function Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Trip 35 ASA dial function « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gseronik
Tinkerer
Username: Gseronik

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 01:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi:

I have a newly acquired Olympus Trip 35, which looks to be a very nice shooter. The one concern I have is that changing the ASA setting doesn't seem to do anything. When the camera is set to the "A" (automatic) setting, it doesn't seem to matter what ASA position I use, the camera's aperture appears the same. Trying different amounts of illumination, the "red flag" triggers at the same brightness level regardless of ASA setting.

Can anyone clue me in on how the ASA dial works with the Selenium cell and how I might confirm that it's working? (I'm comfortable taking the camera apart, by the way.)

Thanks in advance!

Gary

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 219

Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 03:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Gary,

At risk of seeming disloyal to this forum, there is a very active Trip 35 group on Flickr, with lots of links to sites with articles on dismantling them. That's probably easier than trying to talk you through something here. Most of the members are users, so those who have dismantled them have generally done so to fix them. I don't recall seeing anyone asking about one that does what yours does, but you never know.

Incidentally I've checked with a handy Trip and yes, different ASA settings should cause the aperture to open to different extents.

Gseronik
Tinkerer
Username: Gseronik

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 08:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Adrian -- will do.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration