Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon AF35ML stuck ASA ring Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Canon AF35ML stuck ASA ring « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Cooltouch
Tinkerer
Username: Cooltouch

Post Number: 8

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 10:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's been a few years since I've put any film through this old camera, and since I usually shoot ISO 200, which is where the ASA dial is set, I guess I've never tried to change it (I bought the camera a few years ago). Yesterday, I was checking the camera out, and noticed that the ASA ring wouldn't budge off of 200.

It has a small button that is pushed to unlock the ring, but pushing the button doesn't allow it to move. I tried pulling out on the ring and pushing in on it while the button was depressed, and it didn't make a difference.

The label ring on the front of the lens has no notches for a spanner, so I'm assuming it would be twisted off using a rubber plug or some such. But I wonder even about this, since there's a small round light sensor located at the bottom of the ring, which appears to protrude ever so slightly above it.

Far as that goes, I'm not even sure attempting to dismantle the lens from the front is the correct way to access the aperture ring. I hope I don't have to completely dismantle the camera from back to front, just to get to the ring, which hangs off the very front of the lens.

Any ideas?

Best,

Michael

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 195

Posted on Saturday, October 10, 2009 - 09:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Best suggestion is to put it under your car tires and shift into reverse.

Harlee
Tinkerer
Username: Harlee

Post Number: 84

Posted on Saturday, October 10, 2009 - 01:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have three MLs and the same thing has happened to a couple of them. I simply took a little lighter fluid, squirted it [very sparingly] around the ASA dial then took a piece of rubber to move it. Don't use WD-40! With a little pressure it'll budge off the frozen ASA, then keep moving it back and forth to free it up. Or, simply shoot it on 200; 100 and 400 will still come out OK with the new processing equiptment that's being utilized. Good luck! PS: Don't overdo it with the lighter fluid.

Cooltouch
Tinkerer

Post Number: 21

Posted on Saturday, October 10, 2009 - 10:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Harlee, thanks for the tip. Worth a try at any rate. Good point about processing nowadays. I accidentally shot a roll of ISO 400 film at 200 a while back, and it came out looking just fine.

Whassamatter, Tom, you've had bad experiences with the AF35ML? I'm actually quite fond of mine. Under-the-tire insertion is not in its future.

Michael

Harlee
Tinkerer
Username: Harlee

Post Number: 85

Posted on Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 02:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Say Michael, I came back with some top notch pics from one of my MLs in London a couple of years back. Every camera has it's own quirks, and either you to learn to live with them or use a different one.

Cooltouch
Tinkerer

Post Number: 22

Posted on Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 05:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey, I agree, Harlee. The only fault I've found with my AF35ML is it tends to blow out the highlights somewhat when I use the flash. Otherwise, it's done a great job. Ya gotta love it for its weight, too. I mean, it's actually made out of metal!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration