Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Repair perplexity Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Repair perplexity « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ezio
Tinkerer
Username: Ezio

Post Number: 13

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 01:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone here have a recent experience of a camera repair done by Ken Ruth at Photography of Bald Mountain?

Based of repeated mentions of him in several fora, in October I did send to him a Super Ikonta of mine. The first contacts were extremely prompt, nice and professional. He immediately acknowledged receipt via email, and a few days later let me have a detailed presentation of the various problems he had identified in the camera, what he intended to do to solve them, and an estimate of the costs. But after I accepted his proposals, something like the Iron Courtain fell.

I haven't received any further message from him. Repeated emails from me, asking for the courtesy of an estimate about completion of the work, remained unanswered. I did even phone him a couple of times. I both cases he was out of his office, couldn't tell me anything, but would send an email as soon as he was back, click. No email.

I have no real reason to doubt his professionality, but I'm, say, perplexed. Is this his normal behaviour, or what?

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 485

Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 03:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I do not know the gentleman in question, but has he been hoist by his own petard - read popularity. Years ago when pistol ownership and handgun shooting was legal in the UK, I came into contact with a semi-retired gunsmith whose work was well respected and talked about. At the time I was interested in some pistols he had for sale and visited him at his workshop. I was very surprised to see a huge number of firearms awaiting repair/alteration stored in his strongroom. Subsequently I found out that most of his work took at least 9-12 months, sometimes longer. Still his workmanship was worth waiting for, it you were not a keen shooter!

Perhaps Mr. Ruth has a similar work load?

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 766

Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 03:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'll give him the benefit of that doubt, but nobody is too busy to email a waiting customer. This is unfortunate. I have never heard anything but praise for Photography on Bald Mountain. Like Glenn, I have no personal experience to draw on.

Ezio
Tinkerer
Username: Ezio

Post Number: 15

Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 12:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've now received a bill from him, which I take to mean my camera is ready - although he doesn't say so. Clearly, a very busy man... could use some secretarial support, though...

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration