Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Kodak IIIS Automatic Framelines Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Kodak IIIS Automatic Framelines « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Hai
Tinkerer
Username: Hai

Post Number: 16

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 04:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How does the Kodak IIIS lenses brings up the correct framelines? I have Kodak lenses I want to modify, but I don't want them to loose the automatic framlines when I attach them to the IIIS...

Ezio
Tinkerer
Username: Ezio

Post Number: 16

Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 07:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you look at the lens breech mount without a lens, you will notice a small pin protruding from a hole in the left/lower part of the ring. That pin engages into the lens' mount, and perform two functions: the first few mm of the pin being pressed down by the lens determines the automatic framelines (you can see this by gently pressing down the pin by hand, of course without a lens); further pressure establishes the connection between the lens and the rangefinder.

Rick Oleson has a very clear diagram of the whole thing.

Clearly, the framelines are determined by very slight differences in the part of the lens mount that presses against the pin (it looks like a curved groove or recessed section, for lack of a better term).

Hai
Tinkerer

Post Number: 17

Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 08:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks... I wonder how the same pin deals with the auto-framelines AND the range finder?
Anyway - now I am sure that modifying my lens will not affect the auto-framelines...

Ezio
Tinkerer
Username: Ezio

Post Number: 17

Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 12:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, if you take a good look you'll notice that the pin goes through both a first supporting section and a main back elemen, an that in the space between the two it is surrounded by sort of annular sabot. The sabot is what sets the framelines, while at the pin gets pushed further back through the sabot (which is blocked against
the back element) it governs the rangefinder.

If your proposed modification involves doing the small cut-off that enables use of these lenses on a Bessamatic, go on. I've done it, and there are no problem.

Hai
Tinkerer

Post Number: 18

Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 06:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks a lot. I am modifying these lenses to fit Baldamatic and not Bessamatic, that's why I needed this extra verification...

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration