Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

What caused this ? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » What caused this ? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Martinsmith99
Tinkerer
Username: Martinsmith99

Post Number: 4

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 12:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

These were shot on a Praktica MTL5 which I was given. It didn't happen on every shot, just over half were fine.

http://www.ms-imaging.co.uk/photos/454666108_Z445e-M.jpg
http://www.ms-imaging.co.uk/photos/454666104_4tA72-M.jpg
http://www.ms-imaging.co.uk/photos/454666097_h3K2o-M.jpg
http://www.ms-imaging.co.uk/photos/454666093_4VB2X-M.jpg

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 496

Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 01:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Typical results that indicate a shutter mechanism in the need of a CLA (service). However; and I say this advisedly, if all the ruined exposures are at the beginning of the film, it can indicate a shutter mechanism that has stood for a long time without use and which freed up after a bit of activation. The trouble is the Prakticas are not known for using the best speced materials or lubricants, so even if everything has freed up, a CLA is still needed to prevent the problem reoccurring.

Martinsmith99
Tinkerer
Username: Martinsmith99

Post Number: 5

Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 03:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great info!

Is an MTL5 worth the expense of paying for a CLA service or is this something I would be able to do with only basic skills & knowledge?

It was a free camera and it's only a backup for my Spotmatic.

Glenn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 497

Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 07:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have no real knowledge of this range of Pentacon equipment. However I seem to recall that there is a really knowledgeable Praktica man on the Forum. Give the archive a search for his contact details, or any DIY facts he may have posted.

I guess with labour costs as they are, the MTL5 is not really worth a professional CLA - well you can purchase nice, fault free examples for far less. On the positive side however, this camera is a good one for cutting ones DIY teeth on - it was free and is of relatively simple construction. If somebody can give you the basic info on opening it up, a few cheap simple tools will suffice for the repairs.

Cooltouch
Tinkerer
Username: Cooltouch

Post Number: 13

Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 08:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have had the same problem with a couple of Canons over the years. A friend of mine who repairs cameras for a living diagnosed it as "shutter bounce." He explained to me that the shutter mechanism includes a brake for the second curtain to keep it from bouncing back open after it closes. This might be the problem with your Praktica. Just passing it along...

Best,

Michael

Glenn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 498

Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 10:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sadly no matter what name or source you give to the problem, the only real solution is to give the mechanism a service. By the time you have exposed any curtain latches or brakes, you will have stripped the camera down so much that it is stupid not to clean and lube the total mechanism.

Rlc
Tinkerer
Username: Rlc

Post Number: 63

Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 12:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rick Oleson has helped me on this subject. He has been a valued source of knowledge and inovative contributer to this forum.
Richard.

Sillyconguru
Tinkerer
Username: Sillyconguru

Post Number: 18

Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 03:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Looking at the images, and knowing that the MTL5 has a vertically travelling focal plane shutter (so it can't be this), I'd say that the felt light-proofing near the film door hinge needs replacing.

Walkersj
Tinkerer
Username: Walkersj

Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 03:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would agree with the last comment. Practically all the Prakticas I have, have required the hinge door light seal replacing. Also check the film door is not distorted and is latching properly.

Glenn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 499

Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 03:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glad one of the MTL5 experts has finally appeared. The greatly diminished little grey cells, did not recall that this model range was Pentacon's great leap into modern shutter mechanisms!!! Light leakage is obviously the most probable cause.

The great news for Martin is that fitting replacement light seals is so simple and cheap - just read Jon Goodman's contribution in the 'Articles' section.

Manowar
Tinkerer
Username: Manowar

Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 03:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's simply leaking light seal near the hinge. With some shoots, your hand cover the leak then the photos was fine.
Just replace the light seal then it will be ready for you shooting out.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration