Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon T90 remote shutter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Canon T90 remote shutter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Walkersj
Tinkerer
Username: Walkersj

Post Number: 3

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 01:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Canon T90 that seems to work alright except for the remote
shutter control. I am using a 60T3 remote switch, and I asssume that
it is supposed to switch the light meter on with the first part of the
button movement and then fire the shutter when pushed all the way down,
similar to the button on the camera. I've dismantled the switch,
cleaned the terminals, but they didn't seem bad anyway, and checked
continuity with the plug with a multimeter. I've also tried shorting
the terminals in the remote socket on the camera with a paper clip, to
no avail. So does this mean that the remote socket on the camera is
faulty, or is there some setting on the camera to disable the socket,
and so it just needs activating?

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 500

Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 04:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

From memory when using this setup with the T90 tripod mounted, I just plugged in the 60T3 remote and then took the photographs. I always metered (if required) etc using the normal shutter release on the top plate, before using the remote. Activating the release should set up an automatic metering process then shutter release. I never tried to preview the metering using the 60T3 remote, it being more logical and simpler to set everything using the camera body controls.

I have checked the Canon 60T3 instructions, all that is said is remove cap, plug in and use. The only other thing mentioned is sliding the release button to lock the switch when on B.

Are you saying that the release does not operate the camera?

Walkersj
Tinkerer
Username: Walkersj

Post Number: 5

Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 03:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes the release doesn't operate the shutter. From what you say you confirm what I thought that the release should work as soon as the connector is plugged into the camera. I suspect the fault is in the camera, and I'm somewhat wary of opening one of these up with all the electonics, plus the fact the camera seems to working alright otherwise. I suppose I could use the self timer, assuming that works? I just bought the remote control but it seems I'm out of luck with using it on this particular camera.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 501

Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 03:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stuart,

It has been a long time since I was inside a T90, and I cannot recall how the socket is wired in. It is quite easy to remove the top and side panels on the T90, so it might be worth a quick look see just in case you can spot a loose wire. Otherwise I suggest you leave the electronics well alone, and get it professionally sorted. I found a very good and cheap T90 repairman on eBay a couple of years back, I now forget his details but as we are all in the UK it might be worth your while seeking him out. Unfortunately I sold all my T90 kit and repair manuals just before a house move last year - it wasn't getting used and the T90 does not like inactivity in old age - so I cannot give you any more help unfortunately.

You should look on eBay under T90 service or repair in the first instance, if you decide on professional help. You could also look in the archive of the Canon T Series pages on the following site,

www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/htmls/knowledge_main.htm

I know I mentioned the chap's name when some of us were discussing UK repair sources for the T90.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration