Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Mamiya C33 waist level finder, hood l... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Mamiya C33 waist level finder, hood loose « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Markus
Tinkerer
Username: Markus

Post Number: 89

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 03:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Mamiya C33 whose waist level finder hood is loose. I tried to adjust it and miserably failed. There is a small stopper that prevents the hood from opening too far (past the point where it is vertical). There should probably be two of those but my camera only had one of them. Anyway, while I was attempting to adjust this stopper, I broke it off.

I am pretty sure that I can pry the part of the screw that is still in the base of the WLF, so I guess what I would need is some sort of improvised stopper. I just cannot come up with an idea for how to make one. Does anybody here have an idea how to approach this (or even understand what I am talking about)?

This problem does not prevent me from using this camera, the only problem is that the hood kind of flops around a bit when I use the camera, which annoys me enough to want to fix this.

Thanks - Markus

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 502

Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 07:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Unfortunately you are the person in the best position to be able to work out a solution to this problem, as you know what has broken off.

Your post suggests that you have broken a small screw, and the remaining stop has fallen off. Is this correct? The bit of remaining screw stub is easily dealt with, just sharpen up a very small screwdriver and tap it into the stub slightly, then making sure you are keeping the screwdriver pushed hard against the stub - unscrew the broken bit. No prying needed. Perhaps all you will need then is a replacement screw to fasten the original stopper back on? Otherwise you will have to resort to epoxy and a piece of wood or metal - whatever will do the job.

Many DIY repairs require a bit of lateral thinking, alternatively a junker as a source of spares.

Markus
Tinkerer
Username: Markus

Post Number: 90

Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 08:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn, I had not thought of epoxy, that might indeed work. Thanks for the lateral!

Brianshaw
Tinkerer
Username: Brianshaw

Post Number: 47

Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 10:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is almost NOTHING that epoxy, in the right hands, won't fix!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration