Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Help with F/Stop Iris Rebuild-Rolleic... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Help with F/Stop Iris Rebuild-Rolleicord II « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kb2qqm
Tinkerer
Username: Kb2qqm

Post Number: 13

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 08:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rolleicord II-Advice needed on Iris Rebuild

I have a rolliecord II and was cleaning the shutter. I am refurbishing the camera and have painstakingly cleaned and rebuilt the camera from the ground up. Cheap camera to learn on.
So for every step along the way, I took a digital macro photo every step of the dissassembly,to aid in rebuilding it. I got down to the F/Stop iris and stopped.

Yes, the one with 10 wafer thin semicircle blades. (f/stop iris)
After soaking it in Naptha and flushing it,I got curious. ( first mistake)
I dropped the two halves on my cloth bench towel...and you guessed it..
"shutter salad"..complete with all the "f" bombs I screamed at the same time.

After the sheer fright of seeing the shutter salad...I calmed down and went about learning about how to rebuild the iris. Learning truly does suck when that was not your first plan.

Can anyone give me any advice to on how to start and finish. I did read in the Romney book that the last shutter blade has to somehow be inserted in front. All the blades are to be sandwiched between two plates.
I have already tried this for no less than 11 hours with mediocre results.

I need to see how to start this and how to finish the last couple of leafs. I know I have to insert those individual leafs under the other ones, I'm just not sure how.

The iris is such an optical illusion to look at anyway so it's difficult to figure out. Anyone here with any experience with this?

The photo of the Iris starts at photo #1771 and another at #1775, this is right before it fell apart.

http://gallery.me.com/kb2qqm/100262

Thanks for any help..

Any iris/shutter links appreciated.

Greg

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 270

Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 09:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Greg; I hope you didn't put any creases in the blades, if not it isn't too bad. I used to place each blade in place one at a time and hold them there with a dot of oil. Once they were all arranged I then put the ring on top carefully. It helps if you used to do ball bearing puzzels...he he ..Once you have stack together I would strap the two rings with ties around to keep it together then use trichlor or solvent to clean off oil . The hardest part is getting all the pins to line up in the holes on both sides at once...73s an good luck Don WN4DEM

Kb2qqm
Tinkerer

Post Number: 14

Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 12:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Don, Nice to see a fellow Ham online.

Good idea with the oil. Something to keep them stuck together.

I will try it again until I succeed. They are not creased, thank heavens.

I sure love this little camera. I can't wait to get it back going again.

Greg
KB2QQM

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 772

Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 07:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

rolleicord 2 diaphragm
does this help?

Kb2qqm
Tinkerer

Post Number: 15

Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 09:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Rick..

What's the best way to re-stack the blades...in the f/3.5 or the f22 position?

Thanks for the drawing. I saw your camera cd's and will order.

I completely dissassembled this and it's all very clean now, something that I wanted to do, and the crud that came out of it and the shutter was amazing. I just feel stupid for not being able to get it back together. I have a new appreciation for those watchmakers/camera makers from so long ago. Amazing what was possible without the aid of CAD !
Truly remarkable.
I know once I get this done, I will be buying more Rolleicords to re-do.

I will keep you advised, and thanks for your expertise !

Greg

Kb2qqm
Tinkerer

Post Number: 16

Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 09:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been trying to stack the blades in the F22 closed position. It's so hard !
long pins in the case (f/slider ) and then the rest turned to line up on the other side, and once you get like 5 installed you have to overlay the rest on top of the other ones, and the hardest part is that they don't go into the slider holes because they lay on top of the other blades. the photos I took and posted in my gallery in the above post shows that they just balance there. Then when I try to put on the top plate, they slightly move and don't go into holes on the top plate. It's insanity !
I'm developing patience though..
I was trying to figure out how to do this in the f/3.5 position.

Which is easier f/3.5 or f/22 or a point in between?

The photo of the Iris starts at photo #1771 and another at #1775, this is right before it fell apart.

http://gallery.me.com/kb2qqm/100262

Kb2qqm
Tinkerer

Post Number: 17

Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 09:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anybody have any YouTube Videos demonstrating this..

If I get it to work, I will record this and post it in my gallery.

Greg

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 774

Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 05:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stack them in the wide open (f/3.5) position. This is the only position which guarantees that the pins are all correctly spaced to fit in their slots. I think it would be a nearly hopeless enterprise to attempt it at any other setting.

While setting the blades in place, the first ones go in easily of course, then it gets harder as they begin to overlap. When you get to that point, use a toothpick or something similar to hold down the far end of the last blade, while you lift the free end and slip your next blade underneath. Once this one is in its hole, move forward one step and repeat until the last blade is in place. Now, with them all at f/3.5, the upper pins are perfectly spaced, you can set the cage down on them and rotate it until it drops into place. The only worry is to be sure that the cage is oriented correctly so the actuating lever things are in the right place around the circle.

Kb2qqm
Tinkerer

Post Number: 18

Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 10:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks this makes more sense..to me

I was trying to do it in the f/22 position, and got all but 2 pins set..and then it slipped.

I will try again tomorrow what you suggest.

many thanks for your help..
I sent you a paypal today..

Greg
Racine, WI

Kb2qqm
Tinkerer

Post Number: 19

Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 01:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Success !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Took me about 5 continuous hours of making mistakes.

LIKE RICK SAID..

Start at the widest aperature for the Rolleicord II=f/3.5

Layer the blades on top of each other.

Blades 1 throught 6 go in pretty well. Easy.

#7 was pretty easy in that I just had to lift up the first blade and slide #7 into the slot underneath.

#8 was more difficult as I had to press down on all the other blades, but still manage to lift up blades 1 &2 to fit #8 in underneath into it's slot.

#9 was getting easier..because I started gripping each blade on the sides which let me man-handle it into place into it's respective slot.

#10... Number 10 was the most difficult because I had to slide #10 in place without disturbing the others, and hold down all the blades at once and I was running out of room.

Believe it or not that was the easy part.

Then I had to get the cover Pin plate on and insert all the upper pins into the plate, line everything up and screw it together.

At this point I was shallow breathing.

So I got the plate on and about 5 of the 10 pins matched, so for the next 30 minutes I held pressure on the plate and used a bent paperclip to maneuver the other pins into position one at a time to match the plate...

I couldn't believe I had finally done it....

screwed in the 3 screws...and actually started breathing again.

I tried the slide and it worked !....

Now it's sitting in some Naptha, to clean it up, and I will start the rest of the camera assembly tonight.

I will post the pics I took while doing this.

My biggest confusion was:

At what F/stop (3.5=open) to start the rebuild.

I understood how I should layer them up to #6 blade but misunderstood that instead of layering them in a circle over themselves, instead I should have started with blade #7 and slid it underneath the first blade and into it's respective slot on the lower slider ring, and then 8, 9, & 10 in their respective slots.

I have a new profound respect for camera repairmen and to those that have designed cameras.

I feel like my brain is twisted in a knot !

I will in the future just try to soak the Aperture Assembly in Naptha. I did learn allot having to put it back together though.
Much more than I bargained for. I sure do love my Rolleicord.

Thanks to all those that sent me encouragement and help !
A BIG thanks..!

Greg Heath
Racine, WI

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 274

Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 05:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

congratulations You've done a very difficult and nerve-wracking job, next you'll have to try working on meter movements...he he.Don

Kb2qqm
Tinkerer

Post Number: 20

Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 09:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sure, why not...
Looking back it was a real ^%^$# !

but I learned something new, and that's what I started for, so I hit the mark AND this camera is going to purr when I get it back together and add new leather for the exterior. I can't wait !

Jack_fisher
Tinkerer
Username: Jack_fisher

Post Number: 3

Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 04:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

-.-. --- -. --. .-. .- - ...

-.. .

-. ----. -.. . ..-.

Markus
Tinkerer
Username: Markus

Post Number: 92

Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 10:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

--. --- --- -.. / --- -. . --..-- / .--- .- -.-. -.- -.-.-- / - --- --- -.- / -- . / .- / .-- .... .. .-.. . / - --- / ..-. .. --. ..- .-. . / --- ..- - .-.-.-

Kb2qqm
Tinkerer

Post Number: 21

Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 08:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks
"congrws de
N9DEF"

&

Markus

"good one/jack cw took g a while to figure out."

Kb2qqm
Tinkerer

Post Number: 22

Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 08:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

- .... .- -. -.- ... . ...

--... ...--

Thanks and (es) 73 (BEST REGARDS)

Greg KB2QQM

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration