Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Petri 2.8 lens disassembly Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Petri 2.8 lens disassembly « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Simonk
Tinkerer
Username: Simonk

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 05:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am trying to repair a Petri 2.8 Color Corrected. The problem is that the shutter release button fully depressed and not engaging anything. The brass plunger beneath it is not being returned to engage the button. The shutter is stuck closed.
My guess is that there is something wrong with the shutter assembly, but am not sure.
Anyway, I have engaged in a lens dismantling adventure with some home made tools and minimal common sense.
So far I have reached the front of the shutter assembly, but cannot work out how to go further. I am worried about removing screws in the assembly and upsetting the tiny springs and cogs.
I have attached a photo.
Can anyone help with any advice, Including that I may be tackling this all wrong from the start.

Thanks for looking.

Simonpetri 2.8

Mikel
Tinkerer
Username: Mikel

Post Number: 125

Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 09:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would just flood the whole shutter mechanism with Ronsonol (naptha). The original lubricant is gummed up. That may get it going.

The alternative is to pull off the front leatherette which is very brittle, and you will ruin it and need to cut leather for a replacement.

If you do so, you will reveal additional screws which, when removed, will allow the entire lens assembly to be pulled out for service.

The camera is definitely worth fixing, as it has one of the best Tessar formula lenses and the viewfinder/rangefinder is adequately bright when cleaned up- but don't attempt to clean the half silvered mirror in the viewfinder.

Simonk
Tinkerer
Username: Simonk

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 11:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks. The ronsonol certainly loosened up the focus ring, but no change in the shutter release.
I am going to try to soften the brittle leather before going further, to see if I can preserve it.

thanks again

Btgc
Tinkerer
Username: Btgc

Post Number: 7

Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 04:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Simon, I'll second Mikel - peel off leatherette very carefully - 4 screws there and whole lens assembly comes out. I assume there are no wires going from lens to body so it should come straight out.
Then you will be able to explore where the business drags and clean up dirt.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration