Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

How to check the focus on a rangefind... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » How to check the focus on a rangefinder camera? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ciccone
Tinkerer
Username: Ciccone

Post Number: 5

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 10:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi everyone,
here's the plot: i want to check that my little rangefinder (an olympus 35RD) focus correctly on the film plane, does someone have a tip to check this on a (quite) cheap manner. i thought about using a piece of tape or some kind of tracing paper, but i think this method would not be very accurate, what do you think of it?
thanks a lot for your answers

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 505

Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 05:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Get yourself a nice sunny day, a brick wall, tripod and camera loaded with film, surely I don't have to go into any more details. If you also measure the distance from the wall to the film plane with an accurate tape, you can also check that the focusing scale is reasonably accurate. Just check the resulting negatives with a good magnifier and remember to always use maximum aperture to expose them.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 778

Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 07:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

or, http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-123.html

Geowelch
Tinkerer
Username: Geowelch

Post Number: 19

Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 08:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can make a sort of "ground glass" or focus screen for the camera with frosted "invisible" tape stretched across the frame opening with the back of the camera open. Use a lupe magnifier to check the focus against the rangefinder. For larger medium format rangefinders use a piece of plastic for rigidity, with the tape on one side for the test focus screen. I used part of a sacrificed CD jewel case. for this and it works quite well.

Charlie
Tinkerer
Username: Charlie

Post Number: 192

Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 07:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The tape should be on the lens side of the plastic and the platic against the film rails

Geowelch
Tinkerer
Username: Geowelch

Post Number: 21

Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 11:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Exactly Charlie.

Connealy
Tinkerer
Username: Connealy

Post Number: 13

Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 06:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In my experience Rick's method for checking the infinity focus of a lens is a lot less ambiguous than trying to determine focus accuracy with a ground glass. A ground glass image permits one to detect the difference between an image that is in focus or grossly out of focus, but when you get to the fine tuning part, the grainy lack of resolution of the ground glass gets in the way.
Mike Elek's site has another good illustration of the technique described by Rick.
http://elekm.net/zeiss-ikon/repair/collimate/
I have found it a help to use a 135mm telephoto on the slr to view the target.

Bill_alexander
Tinkerer
Username: Bill_alexander

Post Number: 15

Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 10:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have in the past been successful by getting
a piece of ground or frosted glass from the local
glass shop cut to the size needed and putting on
the film plane and setting the focus like a view
camera, A little work but with good results, I keep several sizes for all my cameras.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration