Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pentax Spotmatic II shutter problem a... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Pentax Spotmatic II shutter problem at 1/8s « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jan
Tinkerer
Username: Jan

Post Number: 50

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 09:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I seem to recall that this is a relatively common problem with Spotmatics. All speeds work fine, with the slow speed escapement whirring happily and evenly at 1/15s, 1/4s, 1/2s and 1s. At 1/8s speed however, the shutter fires at what sounds like 1/30s.

Any ideas how adjust this?

Many thanks,

Jan

Aford
Tinkerer
Username: Aford

Post Number: 54

Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 11:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have two Pentax Spotmatics and after reading the above message I tested them at 1/8s and found one of them to be ok the other did seem to fire too fast, as Jan says fires at what sounds like 1/30s. I've never taken a picture with a shutter set at 1/8s but it would be nice to have a fully working shutter.

A friend of mine is busy on a project to build an electronic shutter-speed tester with a range from 2s to 1/2000s it will be very interesting to check out my various cameras when/if he gets it to work.

Thanks - Alf

Jan
Tinkerer

Post Number: 53

Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 05:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Still struggling with this - does anybody have any hints?

Many thanks,

Jan

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 795

Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 08:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nothing inspired, but I would guess that the clockwork needs cleaning ... not because the escapement is hanging up but because it's failing to shift speed ranges between the 1/15 and 1/8 settings. If I recall correctly, I think the clockwork is located below the mirror box, above the tripod socket. I'm not sure how you get at it to give it a spritz of electronic cleaner... in some models, you can remove the battery box and reach in through that opening.

Jan
Tinkerer

Post Number: 54

Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 08:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the response, Rick. I have tried that already as it used to fix misbehaving slow speeds on previous Spotmatics. Not this one though....

Best,

Jan

Bossman
Tinkerer
Username: Bossman

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 06:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try lighter fluid directly on the slow speed mech and then change speeds over and over. Blow it out while still wet.

Jan
Tinkerer

Post Number: 56

Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 06:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, I have tried that previously..... Nothing seems to be able to fix this. I did find however, that when I release the shutter while holding the camera upside down and in horizontal position, the 1/8s works correctly.

Now - I do realize that one could take all 1/8s pictures upside down and thus 'fix' the camera but, I am looking for a slightly more permanent fix.... ;-)

Best,

Jan

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 803

Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 08:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

oh, you're so picky

Dragunov
Tinkerer
Username: Dragunov

Post Number: 130

Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 08:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

well, the pellet on/off control is located somewhere under the shutter speed dial with most of the speed controls- perhaps poke around there with the lighter fluid. there should be two long shafts that go from the speed control 'box' to the escapement- clean the tops of the shafts. try that...

good luck.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration