Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus 35 RD aperture mechanism Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Olympus 35 RD aperture mechanism « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Cluso
Tinkerer
Username: Cluso

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 01:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
I am having trouble fixing an Olympus 35RD. The problem is that the aperture stays at the smallest opening. I have cleaned the aperture and the shutter and they are both running smoothly.

I think there is something wrong with the mechanism that sets the aperture when the shutter release button is pressed (after winding).

I am not sure about the purpose of the silver arm that sits underneath the lens front element (attached with spring and screw) either.

It would be great if anyone could help. By the way, does anyone own a Service and Repair Manual for the RD (and the SP)? There is one for the 35DC on the Olympus Hardware Resource Page, which is very helpful. Unfortunately, the aperture mechanism is different in the RD.
Thanks!

Harryrag
Tinkerer
Username: Harryrag

Post Number: 47

Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 03:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Check this article carefully https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/oly35rdcleaning.html, it leaves no question open, I guess.

Cluso
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 03:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank for your reply, I am aware of this article and have performed the procedure on one camera already. With this one it is different, however.

Neither before nor after the disassembly and cleaning it was possible to get the aperture move to a setting other than the smallest opening. I don't know how the selection of the aperture via the aperture ring works.

The little spring on one of the two rods keeps the aperture shut (like in the last picture of the article you refer to). What mechanism pushes it open?

Cluso
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 11:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I could fix the problem. There was a tiny little spring on the inner side of the board that holds the shutter mechanism. That spring did not sit properly.

I'd still be very happy to find a repair manual for the RD/SP. Thanks!

Harryrag
Tinkerer

Post Number: 48

Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 11:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

With the shutter cocked on auto and in the manual mode the aperture blades are always closed to either the aperture dictated by the light meter or the preselected opening, this relative opening until it stops depends on a linkage system mounted to a brass plate right behind the front panel. Its movement when the shutter button is operated can be seen from underneath if you take off the bottom plate. Maybe one of the springs has come unhooked there or is broken. For a closer look or a repair you will have to take the camera apart in a manner like shown here http://samsul.hp.infoseek.co.jp/35rd.html(pic 4) or http://homepage1.nifty.com/fukucame/tips/35rd_t.htm (pic 3)

Harryrag
Tinkerer

Post Number: 49

Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 11:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Congrats, so you were a bit faster than my sorting out the links to the Japanese sites, J.

Cluso
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 12:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for sorting out the links for me. It took me some time to work out how the mechanism works. It's more difficult if it doesn't do what it's supposed to be doing...

After reassembly everthing seemed fine, but now I have noticed that the shutter speeds are not ok.
The 1/125 setting is too slow. It is more like 1/15. 1/250 and 1/500 are definitely faster than the 125th.

The slow ones are too slow either, the 1/2 is more like a second.

I've read about using zippo fluid to clean the gears, but that didn't work for me, I've tried. This just distributes the oil everywhere, but in order to remove it, shouldn't I take the whole shutter timer assembly apart (which I'm hesitating to do) and clean it properly?

I have another camera where the slow shutter settings are far too slow, and no success there either.
Thanks!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration