Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta AL shutter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Minolta AL shutter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Salmon
Tinkerer
Username: Salmon

Post Number: 2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 01:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,
Again, I'm still in need of some direction and help on working on the shutter mechanism for my Minolta AL. My instincts are to open the front of the lense and flush with lighter fluid, dry and blow with canned air and then see if that un-gums the shutter speeds. Again a little bit of help would be appreciated. I just pulled out my old Canon Canonet - #987257. A great little camera that I haul thru China in the late 80's and it took great photos. It's a little sick right now and I should give it some attention to revieve it. I any event I do need some help on the Minolta AL or maybe the task is just too much for the amature repair person. I have been searhing the web for a repair manual for the camera,but no luck yet.
Thanks
Mike
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Scott
Tinkerer
Username: Scott

Post Number: 29

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 06:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In this situation, the first thing I do is to remove all of the lenese elements, both from the front and the back of the shutter. That way, you can clean both sides of the shutter and aperture blades, and not get solvent on the lens glass surfaces.

Getting the lens elements out of the AL is pretty simple, but it sure helps if you have a proper, adjustable lens spanner (wrench). You will see the shutter-blade-cleaning procedure described many times. Apply no more than 2-3 of drops of lighter fluid at a time, tilt the camera in all directions to let it spread around, then wind and release the shutter about 5 times, then swab off the blades. Repeat the process at least 5 times. Then, blow it out front and back with canned air. Wait a few minutes before you put the lens glass back, in order to let all of the solvent evaporate.

To "flush" is a real bad idea, I think.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration