Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta srt-303 mirror sticking/shutt... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Minolta srt-303 mirror sticking/shutter problem. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Aerowoof
Tinkerer
Username: Aerowoof

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 04:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

when the shutter button is depressed the mirror only raises about halfway and stops and the shutter does not realease.if I lock the mirror up and press the shutter button the shutter will fire.I have fired it at all speeds with the mirror locked up.what would cause this and how do I repair it.John

Aerowoof
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 04:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

looking at parts at us camera there is reference to a common problem with the mirror kick gear,could this be the problem and the solution the brass gear that is out of stock?

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 123

Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 09:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The mirror kick gear is to drop the mirror down after it has gone up and the second curtain has finished its travel. This is a common issue with SRTs. Your problem seems a bit more complex than that, and it's one I haven't seen.

Aerowoof
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 03:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks to jon goodman a single drop of oil on a brass gear by the white nylon gear solved this problem.now it is working properly and I will replace all seals this weekend

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 124

Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 09:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Interesting. I've had a number of SRTs and none have had the problem as you describe it - the mirror would always come up all the way and stay at the top of the mirror box, and just not come down. Never seen one that wouldn't go up. Happily, refoaming an SRT is very easy.

Harryrag
Tinkerer
Username: Harryrag

Post Number: 51

Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 07:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A magic trick? If you are going to "all light seals" as you say a removal of the mirror box and the focusing screen is inevitable. There's hard work ahead and that job takes more than a "single drop of oil".

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration