Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon S2 Rangefinder Slow Shutter Spe... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Nikon S2 Rangefinder Slow Shutter Speed Issue « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

_nathan
Tinkerer
Username: _nathan

Post Number: 26

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 11:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, the other day someone listed a Nikon S2 on Craigslist for next to nothing. I was lucky to be the first to contact the seller and I told him that I would purchase the camera regardless of condition due to his low asking price. The camera is in excellent cosmetic and optical condition and all fast speeds function accurately.

The only issue I have discovered with the camera is with the slow speed dial. The problem persists with all of the settings. When a slow speed is chosen the camera functions as if it was set to Bulb. The shutter will remain open for as long as I retain pressure on the release. If I hold the shutter release down and remove pressure slowly I can intermittently trigger the shutter timing for each respective speed and it isn't sticky. For some reason when the shutter is released it is not triggering the timing mechanism for the slow speeds. The 'T' setting also does not function as it should, and also resembles the Bulb setting.

I think a professional CLA is needed, yet I just feel that the shutter isn't sequencing properly?

Easy fix?

Any suggestions?

I would hate to compromise the integrity of such a fine piece of photographica with my inexperience.

Thanks all!

N.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 783

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 09:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you're hesitant, follow your instincts and send it in. The S2 is too nice a camera for a wing-it project, and this is probably a cheap repair (as such things go)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration