Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Zeiss Ikon Contessamat SBE --> Advanc... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Zeiss Ikon Contessamat SBE --> Advance lever won't go past 1/3 of its travel « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Wiredbarbarian
Tinkerer
Username: Wiredbarbarian

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 10:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I picked up this lil beauty off someone for $15. Its in excellent condition it seems, not even a scratch.

However, when you try to move the advance lever, it won't travel past 1/3 of the distance. Something is resisting it at that point (I did not try to use force).

I opened the top cover of the camera, and have found that there is a little metal disk in the assembly wich rotates on the same axis as the advance lever assembly.

On this disk is attached a small lever arm with a tab bent upwards. Ontop of this lever is a rectangular metal plate with 2 rounded edges opposite of eachother.

When I try to advance the lever, the disk rotates along with the small lever arm on it (which also has the recoil spring hooked on to it).

At about 1/3 of the travel distance (or even less), the little vertical tab on the small lever arm hits the rectangular plate and stops it from rotating. The rectangular plate seem fixed in once place and does not rotate with the rest of the lever assembly.

My guess is that the lever arm tab is supposed to catch the edge of the rectangular plate and then continue its travel by rotating it and hence mechanically charging the shutter.

What i would like to know is if the small arm lever is in the correct place/position. Maybe its not fitted correctly and won't rotate the other piece?

Or perhaps something is stuck in the gears? The spool which wraps the film around it seems to be able to rotate smoothly with no problem (manually) but the advance sprocket doesnt want to move very muhc at all unless i disengage it by pressing the rewind button. Then it is able to rotate very smoothly and easily.

What should I do next to try and fix the problem? What could be preventing the camera from advancing with the advance lever?

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Wiredbarbarian
Tinkerer
Username: Wiredbarbarian

Post Number: 2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 11:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

CAMERA AT REST, TOP COVER OPEN
Camera at rest

ADVANCE LEVER STOPS IN THIS POSITION! STUCK.
Attempting to cock the advance lever

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration