Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta XG-1 Shutter cap? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Minolta XG-1 Shutter cap? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Aerowoof
Tinkerer
Username: Aerowoof

Post Number: 8

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 05:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bought this for parts but it was so clean in and out except for some corrosion on the battery door I thought I'd give it a try.I have been using catsup to clean corroded flash unit battery terinals with great success and tried it on the battery cover,overnight and then wash it off.now the battery check light lights up and the leds in the veiw finder respond to different intensities of light but when the shutter button is depressed they go out and stay out till you turn it off then back on,shutter will not fire and the mirror is up.from reading this sounds like a bad capacitor under the bottom cover.however it is a blue capacitor which I have read rarely goes bad.My question is could this be one of the rare instances of a bad cap or another problem?

Thecameracurecom
Tinkerer
Username: Thecameracurecom

Post Number: 4

Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 04:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

most likely its a dirty wiper a/m switch under the top cover. very common along with the capacitors. you have to be careful when removing the switch not to damage the contacts and clean the contact surface that the switch contacts touch.next time try using ammonia to clean corrossion.

Marty1107
Tinkerer
Username: Marty1107

Post Number: 6

Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 05:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the mirror is in the up position, then the camera is not in a wound or (pre-release) state. I believe that the shutter and mirror will need to be manually reset.

First you should be able to "gently" move the mirror down towards its pre-release state. Don't force it if it doesn't move easily. It won't stay all the way down but will usually rest about half way. I don't remember if this step is mandatory, so if you can't move the mirror easily, then don't, but ahead and do the second step.

Second you will need to rotate the film advance lever thru a full wind cycle. However you will not be able to do this until you move the wind reset lever out of the way while you operate the advance lever. The shutter curtains should move to the pre-release state and the mirror should drop down. Read the articles section of this site and look at the "Resetting Cameras" article. This shows an X370 however the wind reset on the XG-1 is in the same position.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration