Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon al-1 battery door Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Canon al-1 battery door « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Aerowoof
Tinkerer
Username: Aerowoof

Post Number: 9

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 05:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was able to locate a new door for this camera and am asking if there are any tricks or steps to make this any easy replacement.

Jan
Tinkerer
Username: Jan

Post Number: 55

Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 02:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have done one of these about a year ago and recall that no nightmares were encountered. If memory serves me correctly (rare these days....), I removed the base plate and all one had to do was to remove the hinge pin of the battery door, install the new door and re-insert the hinge pin.

Best,

Jan

Aerowoof
Tinkerer
Username: Aerowoof

Post Number: 10

Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 04:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks,
the original door is in such bad shape,[missing the door latch part as well as the metal contact strip] was not sure what else maybe missing,small springs etc.

Ethostech
Tinkerer
Username: Ethostech

Post Number: 110

Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 01:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That particular battery compartment door is a common configuration on many Canon SLR's - and breakage is also not unusual. If you have a replacement door the fix is quite easy.
Make a sketch of the lay of the spring as on the hinge-shaft so that you can reassemble exactly as removed.
With strong pointy pliers you will find that the shaft can be moved axially just enough for one end to be lifted out of its "bearing". The rest is just a reversing of the procedure but make sure you get the spring configuration right.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 527

Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 05:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As far as I know the AL-1 door is unique to that model. The AL-1 holds more batteries, due to the power requirements of the 'focus assist' circuit.

Harlee
Tinkerer
Username: Harlee

Post Number: 49

Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 07:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I repaired a door on my AL-1 by removing the chrome contact plate on the door by heating a knife and basically melting the plastic things that holds the plate down and then pried off the contact plate. I was surprised to find out that Canon uses a plastic spring similar to what is used on lens caps. This plastic spring was broken. I did replace it with a regular spring and it worked OK, and then replaced the contact plate. I have an AL-1 coming next week with a similar problem and I'm considering ding a better job of installing a custom made spring to fix it. I curious to see if that'll work OK - it should.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration