Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Mamiya 180mm Super TLR lens -- how to... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Mamiya 180mm Super TLR lens -- how to get the front element off? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Markus
Tinkerer
Username: Markus

Post Number: 95

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 07:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bought a Mamiya 180mm Super lens which was advertised as having a gummed up shutter. Since I have cleaned many a shutter, I thought, no big deal, I'll just clean it and at the same time get a good deal on the lens.

Of course, now I cannot figure out how to screw the front element out to get to the shutter. Is there perhaps some kind of trick to it? I tried rubber gloves to get more grip, but that did not work.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 796

Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 09:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It unscrews ..... but it is VERY tight, tighter than any other leaf-shutter lens I have encountered.

My secret Mamiya TLR lens tool

This is how I get them loose. Once you get it started, it screws right off.

Markus
Tinkerer

Post Number: 96

Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 05:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Rick! I will try that today. One more question, though. The taking and viewing lenses are connected about half way out from the shutter. Do I have to loosen them both and then unscrew them simultaneously?

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 797

Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 06:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They are in 2 pieces: I unscrewed the front half of the taking lens first, then unscrewed the entire viewing lens including the connecting piece, then unscrewed the remaining part of the taking lens from the shutter.

Email me at [email protected] and I'll send you the sketch.

Markus
Tinkerer

Post Number: 97

Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 06:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks a bunch! Your description is very clear, I think I'll manage without the additional sketch.

Now it's off to the hardware store to get the clamp.

Markus
Tinkerer

Post Number: 98

Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 09:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I got it to work.

The hose clamp did not fit around the barrel of either of the lens barrels as the taking and viewing lenses are very close to each other and the clamp is too wide to fit. The two lenses actually touch at the end. If the hose clamp were only half as wide as it is, it would fit. The sheet of gasket rubber (3/32 inch thick) simply put over one of the lenses gave me enough grip to unscrew the lenses simply by hand. The cocking ring was slightly bent and rectifying that fixed it. The shutter runs perfectly and wasn't gummed up at all.

Thanks Rick, for pointing me in the right direction! That sheet of gasket rubber will be an integral part of my camera tool box from now on.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 799

Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 09:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yours wasn't as tight as the ones I've encountered, or else you have stronger hands! If a rubber sheet worked, you will probably find that a rubber dish-washing glove works even better... those things really give you a grip.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration