Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus OM-10 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Olympus OM-10 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Harlee
Tinkerer
Username: Harlee

Post Number: 40

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 10:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just picked up a pristine OM-10 and have some questions about it. I'm surprised that there isn't a default setting for using a flash at say 1/60. I read on another site that the shutter will not work with the meter turned off - mine does. I thought that perhaps the shutter defaulted to 1/60 without the meter on so that you can utilize a flash. Unfortunately it doesn't; in fact. the shutter speeds actually change with the meter turned off and the ight conditions change. Wierd! Is this typical with the OM-10?

Sillyconguru
Tinkerer
Username: Sillyconguru

Post Number: 20

Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 11:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The instruction manual might help.
http://www.olympusamerica.com/files/Oly_OM10.pdf

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 798

Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 03:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually, that instruction manual doesn't look like it answers your question, at least not very well. I think I recall that if you set the mode dial to "Manual Adapter" with no Manual Adapter attached to the camera, you get 1/60 second. You might try that and see what happens.

It is typical of Olympus automatics that they wake up and control themselves on AUTO (with the slow speeds below 1/30 disabled) if you grab the camera and shoot with it in the OFF position. Maitani didn't want anyone to ever miss a shot because his camera was shut off, and the OM's off-the-film exposure control system makes it possible for the camera to turn on when the mirror goes up, meter the exposure and turn off again. This same philosophy is why no OM camera has a shutter release lock.

Sillyconguru
Tinkerer
Username: Sillyconguru

Post Number: 21

Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 04:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I thought the manual explained reasonably well. Pages 22 & 46 mention the ability to correctly expose even if the camera is switched off, page 31 explains that (when a dedicated) flashgun is fitted the shutter will be automatically set to the max. sync speed, and page 47 states the ability to set 1/60 when setting the camera to 'manual adapter' when no adapter is fitted.

Harlee
Tinkerer

Post Number: 41

Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 06:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks guys. I'll check out the manual and see if it makes sense to me.

Donnie_strickland
Tinkerer
Username: Donnie_strickland

Post Number: 60

Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 07:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"page 47 states the ability to set 1/60 when setting the camera to 'manual adapter' when no adapter is fitted."

That's what my OM-10 does, although I agree they don't do a very good job of explaining that.

Harlee
Tinkerer

Post Number: 42

Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 07:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I think what you're saying is true. The way it's stated [pg. 47], it doesn't actually say when 'there's not a manual adapter fitted,' although I think I can catagorically agree that it's implied! I've read and re-read pg 47, and I think I agree with you. I do notice however that when the battery switch is turned on, and the camera is set to "manual mode" the speed indicator diod continues to move up and down with varying light conditions. However, that may not truly indicate the speed is varying. Anyway, I took a flash shot tonight with the camera set to 'manual mode,' battery switch in off position, and I'll have to wait to see how it comes out. Thanks again guys!

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 222

Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 03:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As far as I am aware, the diode is telling you what speed you should be setting to for the correct exposure - think light meter. So it will continue to move whatever the setting you have (or haven't) got the camera at.

Harlee
Tinkerer

Post Number: 45

Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 04:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a flash I purchased at K-Mart some 17-20 years ago with a number of contacts on the shoe which will allow it to program with Oly, Nik, Min, Pen and Can. I had to clean the battery contacts and the shoe contacts thoroughly and tried it on my OM-10 and low and behold the Flash diod lit up on the viewfinder. So, it looks as though I have a programmed flash which does set the corect shutter speed on the OM-10. So now I see what is supposed to happen when the proper flash speed is reached. Good golly Miss Molly!

Leesobing
Tinkerer
Username: Leesobing

Post Number: 14

Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 12:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OM 10 the flash maxium speed is 1/60s if highter than 1/60S the output may be half is black.
you can control the speed by the manual adapter fitted and set to MAMUULS .
if usung OM Flash om PRAKTICA B Flash it is auto setting in 1/60s

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration