Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon FM2n not fully advancing film Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Nikon FM2n not fully advancing film « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Heradel
Tinkerer
Username: Heradel

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 02:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I got pointed here from the I Shoot Film group on flickr, and didn't find anything similar when searching through the archives.

I just put my first roll through a new-to-me-yet-older-than-me well used FM2n and found that the film advance lever/winder doesn't always move the film as far as it needs to (from about 7.5mm short to spot-on). I think the rate at which I'm pushing the lever might be a factor, but haven't really seen a difference when I looked at how far the spool moved when I tried a few times with the back open.

It came with an MD-12 that advances it correctly, so it's not a huge issue as I can just use that, but I would like to try to repair it.

I'm a student so I'd rather try to do it myself rather than take it somewhere unless it's a cheap repair (I'm in NYC if that helps). I've got some tools, and am fairly dextrous.

I searched online but couldn't find the repair manual except behind a paywall, so if anyone has that It would be much appreciated.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 802

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 04:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The fact that the winder doesn't have the same problem puzzles me a bit. The film is advanced by the toothed sprocket shaft that's between the shutter opening and the takeup spool, and winding on, either with your thumb or the MD12, should turn this shaft through 8 sprocket holes worth of rotation. What happens sometimes with a lot of wear is that the inner shaft inside the sprockets rotates without rotating the outer part with it. These 2 parts disengage to allow you to rewind the film, and with a lot of use the tab/slot where they come together can wear out and let the outer shaft slip. But it should behave more or less the same with or without the power winder.

I have never taken the sprocket shaft out of an FM2; in most cameras it requires more disassembly than you'd think it would. There are a couple of little set screws down at the bottom end of the shaft that MIGHT give you a clue, but then again they might get you in trouble. Right now I'm not feeling adventurous enough to pull them out of my FM2 to find out.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration