Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Sound card shutter tester Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Sound card shutter tester « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Hobbes
Tinkerer
Username: Hobbes

Post Number: 2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 07:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On several other websites I've read about the DIY sound card shutter, and I decided to try it for myself.

I don't have any prior experience with electronics, but the tester looked simple enough to build, so I actually built two of them based on two different designs. (Here are the websites that have the designs: http://www.davidrichert.com/sound_card_shutter_tester.htm and http://baytan.org/prak/pic/shutter-speed-circuit.jpg.)

I think I've made all the connections correctly, but I can't get either of them to work.

I'm using the device with the Audacity freeware program on a MacBook Pro. (I used Audacity to record some material from my Ipod via the microphone jack just to make sure that the program and my microphone jack were working.)

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Are there some settings on the software I need to fiddle with?

Thanks

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 161

Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 09:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I did it once, and mine worked, though not spectacularly well. The waveform is pretty sloppy, and usefulness declines as shutter speed rises. It's very good on slow speeds. Since you have already tested the computer end, I'd make sure all your polarities and connections in the tester are correct, try switching them around even if you think you shouldnt, and if that doesn't do it, try another phototransistor. I robbed one out of an old mouse for mine.

Don't forget too that the signal is probably going to be pretty weak, so make sure you crank up the gain in your sound input.

Steve_s
Tinkerer
Username: Steve_s

Post Number: 147

Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 02:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the input of your sound-card is very high impedance or ac coupled (i.e. through a capacitor) I don't think the first circuit can work because there will be little or no current through the transistor. I think the second circuit should work, but you may not need the capacitor. I use my own version http://www.ydo.abelgratis.co.uk/shutter_tester.html with Audacity and a Creative sound card.

Hobbes
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 10:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the suggestions, M_currie and Steve. I think I'm getting somewhere now with the first device I built. It does look like it's a problem with signal strength. I boosted the gain in Audacity and I boosted the input volume via my Mac's system preferences for sound. I started to get a weak signal when activating the device. The waves in Audacity were hard to read, so I went to Preferences -> Interface and changed the "Default View Mode" to Waveform (db). This was much more readable.

I've been using a single AA battery in the device. Would I get a stronger signal if I used two batteries?

By the way, I tested the shutter speeds on my Nikon FM2 up to 1/500 of a second and the readings are pretty nearly spot on.

Thanks again.

Hobbes
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 01:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I took Steve's advice and got rid of the capacitor in the second version of the tester. Now it works with a very strong signal.

Lucas
Tinkerer
Username: Lucas

Post Number: 90

Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 05:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A friend built me one, so I cannot help you with the internals. He incorporated a LED as a lightsource in the circuit and that is much nicer than fiddling around with an external lightsource.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3113/2754080480_dd2da23ede_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3216/2753249591_de436a31a5_o.jpg

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration