Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Mamiya Press Standard/23 Rangefinder ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Mamiya Press Standard/23 Rangefinder Calibration « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Geowelch
Tinkerer
Username: Geowelch

Post Number: 22

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 05:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've been searching all over for information on how to calibrate the rangefinder on a Mamiya Press 23. This is the early body type. I've found some postings on Photo.net on how to calibrate the later models, such as Super 23 and Universal, but the viewfinder/rangefinder on the early models is quite different. A friend's camera is badly out of whack and I volunteered to try to fix it. Since I also have one it would be good to know how to do this.

I got the top off, as well as the plate covering the rangefinder assembly. The screw above the mirror apparently adjusts the vertical alignment but I can't figure out how to adjusts for distance (horizontal movement). The mirror doesn't move at all during focus, but there is a sliding lens assembly between the mirror and the viewfinder which does, so it must have something to do with that. I'm told that is how Leica rangefinders work. If any of you have any information on this I'd really appreciate if you could pass it on, or point me to a reliable source.

Bossman
Tinkerer
Username: Bossman

Post Number: 6

Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 06:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have only seen one or two of those in my over 40 years of camera repair but I have a hunch the rangefinder adj'mt is perhaps inside the film chamber or somewhere outside the top housing. Let me knowif that helps! Art www.flcamerarepair.com

Geowelch
Tinkerer

Post Number: 23

Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 08:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Art. I wonder if it has something to do with the little spring-loaded activation lever that presses against the back of the lens helix.

Bossman
Tinkerer
Username: Bossman

Post Number: 7

Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 09:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The adj'mt will probably be a small screw or set screw behind a cover screw. Some cameras have the range adj. screw access hole under the accessory shoe cover.

Geowelch
Tinkerer

Post Number: 24

Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 10:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bossman, the only cover screw is just above the adjustment for vertical alignment. I don't see anything for horizontal alignment.

Markus
Tinkerer
Username: Markus

Post Number: 99

Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 08:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Perhaps the horizontal adjustment works like for Feds and Zorkis, where one needs to adjust the arm that is pushed in by the lens as it is focused.

I just checked on my Standard 23, and this arm is actually held in place by a screw that is covered in some kind of yellow varnish. You can see it when you remove the lens. The arm that transmits the focus position of the lens is the one that has the shiny metal pin attached to it. It looks like it would be a pain to adjust. You'd need a very stubby screwdriver to loosen the screw. For my 90mm lens, when at the infinity setting it pushes this lever all the way in, and I mean all the way to the limit where it cannot move any further. So you can achieve the same effect without a lens by pushing the lever all the way in by hand.

Good luck - Markus

Markus
Tinkerer

Post Number: 100

Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 09:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Please disregard my previous post, I just took the top off my Standard 23, and figured out how to adjust the rangefinder... boy, what a weird mechanism.

With the top cover off, look at the front (like if you were looking right at the lens), to the right of the large rangefinder window (see the photo)

There is a metal plate, roughly 1/2 inch squared that swings back and forth (and also a bit left to right) when the lens is focused. There are four set screws in that metal plate that need to be adjusted (on my camera these are covered in varnish, which looks darker in than the rest of the plate in the photo). Apparently, the one to the right in the image above is for the adjustment at infinity, the one on the left for the adjustment at the closest focus distance, and the others are for adjusting the focus at two in between distances (it looks like it might be at 15 and 5 feet distances). There is a long set screw (you can see its hole in the camera housing in the picture just underneath the metal plate) that limits the forward movement of the metal plate. It has nothing to do with the adjustment of the rangefinder.

Geowelch
Tinkerer

Post Number: 25

Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 09:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Now that is really bizarre! But now that you point it out, I can see how it would work as it fine-tunes the degree of movement of the viewfinder lens. Thanks Markus! If you don't mind I'd like to post your solution to Photo.net as I posted the same question in the medium format forum there.

Markus
Tinkerer

Post Number: 101

Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 10:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sure, no problem, go ahead and post it there.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration